ETC Smartpack Channel Problem

DMXpro

Hello all,
I've just run into a bit of a problem with an ETC SmartPack dimmer (the 19'' unit), 2.4kW, 6-channel model. The second channel seems to have quit working, and I can't seem to find out why. At first, I thought it was the patch plug, but I replaced it and the problem still persists. I tried flipping the circuit breaker for that channel and even moving the plug around to the 2 sockets of that channel; still nothing. This leads me to believe that it's a connection issue. No sparks or smoking, no blown breakers--what could it be? Could a wire have come loose?
Please help! Thank you

Hello all,
I've just run into a bit of a problem with an ETC SmartPack dimmer (the 19'' unit), 2.4kW, 6-channel model. The second channel seems to have quit working, and I can't seem to find out why. At first, I thought it was the patch plug, but I replaced it and the problem still persists. I tried flipping the circuit breaker for that channel and even moving the plug around to the 2 sockets of that channel; still nothing. This leads me to believe that it's a connection issue. No sparks or smoking, no blown breakers--what could it be? Could a wire have come loose?
Please help! Thank you

Hi DMXpro,

There are a couple of things for you to check. First, double check that the load that you are connecting to channel 2 works when connected to a different circuit. If it doesn't, the problem isn't in the SmartPack, but is in the load or wiring to the load. If it does work, then we are looking at something inside the SmartPack.
The next thing to check is seeing if the power cube reports an issue (like over temperature). To do this, press the [+] button until "Diagnostics" is displayed on the screen and then press the [Check Mark] to enter the Diagnostics menu. On the top line, you will see information about incoming power, on the bottom line (which is what we are most interested in) you will see the reported temperatures of the power cubes within the unit. They are in order from left to right. If one or more of the temperatures are spiking very high (as in if real the rack should be on fire) then we know that the power cube within the rack is failing and should be replaced. The power cube for a 20A SmartPack is ETC part number Q210 and can be ordered from any ETC Dealer.

I know it's not the power cubes because that would knock a few of the other channels offline as well. (The temperature was also one of the first things I checked.) Also, I used an adapter to plug in the circuit to a wall outlet and it does work.

I know it's not the power cubes because that would knock a few of the other channels offline as well. ...
??? Does the SLD620 not contain six 20A SSR s ? Or is the ETC part number Q210 a six channel unit?
See also KnowledgeBase: SmartPack Dimmer Output will not Turn On/Off - Electronic Theatre Controls .

...The second channel seems to have quit working, ...
Another thing to check: Since it is possible on the SmartPack to assign an individual address to each dimmer (as opposed to assigning the first one and the rest follow sequentially), double check the addresses of each dimmer in the pack. Perhaps dimmer#2 got assigned something erroneous.

??? Does the SLD620 not contain six 20A SSR s ? Or is the ETC part number Q210 a six channel unit?
See also KnowledgeBase: SmartPack Dimmer Output will not Turn On/Off - Electronic Theatre Controls .
The 6 channel SmartPack has 3 dual-circuit power cubes. It is entirely possible to have one side of a power cube fail while the other retains its function. You can confirm this by swapping the power cube of the circuit that isn't working with one that is working to see if the problem moves. Of course, remember to turn off power at the breaker that feeds the pack before opening the top cover.

Another thing to check: Since it is possible on the SmartPack to assign an individual address to each dimmer (as opposed to assigning the first one and the rest follow sequentially), double check the addresses of each dimmer in the pack. Perhaps dimmer#2 got assigned something erroneous.

Another good idea. Usually the display will read "DMX Patch" when the pack is not patched by start address.

If that's true, then what would have caused the flickering before it actually failed? Also, could the flickering have been caused by arcing or bad contact, which in turn spiked the SCR? (Is the power cube the SCR, or is it something different?)

If that's true, then what would have caused the flickering before it actually failed? Also, could the flickering have been caused by arcing or bad contact, which in turn spiked the SCR? (Is the power cube the SCR, or is it something different?)

The "power cube" is an SSR (Solid State Relay) which contains SCRs and an opt-isolator in a potted package. (And some other parts.) Very common to have flicker as one fails. This can be caused by cracks in the silicon substract or bad welds between the silicon layers and the jumpers inside the package.

The "power cube" is an SSR (Solid State Relay) which contains SCRs and an opt-isolator in a potted package. (And some other parts.) Very common to have flicker as one fails. This can be caused by cracks in the silicon substract or bad welds between the silicon layers and the jumpers inside the package.
I see. So, would it be a good idea to replace it or have an ETC technician try and repair it? (Also, I tried plugging something into it the other day. It works, but sometimes it will flicker a little, then cut out altogether, then come back on.)
On a related note, I need to replace a powercube on a 10 amp Smartpack (same unit type; 19''), but it's at the bottom of a rack of four, and the packs are hardwired (like gray BX cable, but they look more like flexible tubes). Any ideas on how to go about replacing it? Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back