Conventional Fixtures ETC Source Four 26 or36 with 750watt lamp

Re: Gobo with a Stars Pattern

and lets not forget that you can make your own Star Gobo from an Aluminum Pie Pan and a poker thingy to punch out the stars with.

I tend to aim low because of miscuts or different sizes... and because I KNEW you could get six, and didn't feel like doing the math any closer than that hehe.

Rosco will do the gobo and the gel, it's easiest to find a dealer off the list Derek linked. I most recently ordered both through norcostco and had no complaints.

Rosco US : Gobos just search for stars here and you can see what they've got for premade stuff

and while I prefer to actually have a swatch book so that I can look through the gel held up to light, you can go here to see the rosco colors.

Rosco US : Filters : Roscolux

that being said, Derek listed a handfull of companies and you should just troll through their sites until you find a gobo you like, and are happy.

I would go with Apollo. I like their gobos better.

the last show I did the director was determined we could only buy things from rosco so that was where my last gobo order went. I actually just ordered gel through lee for the first time a couple weeks ago and was surprised at just how much thicker it was than rosco's gel. I believe it was the lee equivalent of bastard amber, and it was just a much heavier thicker piece of gel.

My iPhone app tells me that a 20x24 full sheet will yield nine (9) cuts of 6.25x6.25 for a Source Four 26°.;)

Color media, and a stock or custom gobo manufactured by Rosco, Lee, GAM, or Apollo, may be purchased from Dealers for Supplies and Equipment - ControlBooth . You may obtain a swatchbook from the same sources.

Is something like this what you had in mind?
proxy.php

Super Stars MS-2553

If you're looking for something a little/a lot more realistic, projecting a gobo may not be the best way. See also http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/special-effects/4570-star-curtains.html and http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/special-effects/14789-another-star-curtain-question.html .
PERFECT I'll look for a dealer to order

...I actually just ordered gel through lee for the first time a couple weeks ago and was surprised at just how much thicker it was than rosco's gel. I believe it was the lee equivalent of bastard amber, and it was just a much heavier thicker piece of gel.
L002 or L162? A stupid little reason, as a lighting hand, I prefer LEE Filters to Roscolux--Lee is easier to stuff into the colorframe. In my experience the thickness of the filter is zero indication of how long it will last or how well it will hold up to heat. I believe it has more to do with the manufacturing process: body-dyed (Lux, GAMcolor) vs. surface-coated (Lee, ApolloGel). It used to be that some Roscolux colors were thicker/thinner than others, but I haven't noticed this variance lately.

my swatches are in the shop at school, off the top of my head I think it was L002 but I don't have an actual memory of ordering it. I don't have any comparisons for longevity yet, but it was a noticeably thicker sheet, I had to double check to make sure they hadn't sent me cyc gel or some other specialty number.

Edit: it became a thing so I had to look up the order online and I remember what it was now. I bought R02 and the gel thicker gel was L202 half C.T. Blue. Now I remember what was going on haha.

Last edited:

my swatches are in the shop at school, off the top of my head I think it was L002 but I don't have an actual memory of ordering it. I don't have any comparisons for longevity yet, but it was a noticeably thicker sheet, I had to double check to make sure they hadn't sent me cyc gel or some other specialty number.

Edit: it became a thing so I had to look up the order online and I remember what it was now. I bought R02 and the gel thicker gel was L202 half C.T. Blue. Now I remember what was going on haha.
Was it maybe High Heat Gel that's why it was thicker

Last edited:

wow was that confusing as I was scrolling. I went wait..... am I .... ah, I get it.

still doesn't explain to me though since as far as I know L202 isn't supposed to be one of their HT gels so still no explanation other than I guess the Lee gel is thicker.

wow was that confusing as I was scrolling. I went wait..... am I .... ah, I get it.

still doesn't explain to me though since as far as I know L202 isn't supposed to be one of their HT gels so still no explanation other than I guess the Lee gel is thicker.
Rosco had a line for years named Roscolene with numbers in the 800s. Lene was much thicker than Lux but cheaper. Colors were the same but I learned the Lene numbers first so now I struggle with Lux numbers.

to be fair, comparing now that I've got both books side by side, the lee just is thicker all around than the roscolux. Back in college we actually had a couple sheets of roscolene still hanging around.

I don't know if they were just introducing the Lux or we just started ordering it, but Lene was the norm for us. I do know the thickness difference was enough you could take a mixed box and seperate by feel.

I don't know if they were just introducing the Lux or we just started ordering it, but Lene was the norm for us. I do know the thickness difference was enough you could take a mixed box and seperate by feel.

That is true. I know when Lene was discontinued a couple theaters in my old town stocked up on as many sheets of 8--something or other (866 perhaps?). Anyhow, they ended up ordering the entire stock that Rosco had at the time of that particular color in hopes that the one designer in town would use it all before he died (he used it a LOT).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back