ETC unveils new Element™ lighting control consoles, USITT 2009

As the console itself hasn't been released, no, no OLE is up for it. I am sure that it will be as soon as the desk starts shipping.

I anticipate an OLE will come out with EOS/Ion 1.5 which I believe is slipping into April, according to some posts over at etcconnect.com. That's a guess based on the Element sharing the same code base as EOS/Ion.

I also anticipate they will eventually rename their forum from "EOS (and Ion)" to "EOS, Ion, and Element". Remember you heard it hear first.;)

This looks like the perfect upgrade from my theaters Expression 3.
I might of missed it, but I sat through and EOS/ION training and they have a feature for moving lights and scrollers, that look at the next cue and move them where they need to be before the light comes up. Does anyone know if this is also in this console?

Remember to stop thinking of this new generation of light boards as the old proprietary custom built devices. It's really just a PC in a case with a fancy custom made control surface that plugs into the PC via USB . SO, the beauty is if you want a track ball just go down to your local computer shop, buy one for $30 and plug it into a USB port on the back. To back up or cary files around, just pop a USB flash drive in the back. Just about any USB device you can think of will work with this new generation of consoles.

I know that you can attach a USB trackball. I was saying that I wanted it on the console. I think ETC is just anti trackball, which is fine. That would just be my preference.

Have they posted an OLE for the console yet? Would like to take a look at the software and see how it works.

I believe I read somewhere that ETC was scrambling to get Element mostly functional for USITT. You notice Sarah made a comment in the demo video about something not being quite finished. This is very common for new product releases. It will most likely be 2 or 3 months before they actually have it done and ready to ship... and we probably won't see the OLE until shortly before the console is done as they are likely to be tweaking software up until shortly before Element is ready to ship.

I think ETC is just anti trackball, which is fine.

I believe you are correct. Rumor has it Steve Terry is a charter member of the CATUT (Coalition Against The Use of Trackballs). ;)

The console is two days old, several months from shipping, and you want an OLE? I suspect the Offline Editor/Client version (with purchased dongle) will be Eos/Ion Off-line/Client Software v1.4.4 (PC); Eos/Ion Off-line Software v1.4.3 (Mac) [or more likely the v1.6.x edition of these]; since the console shares so much already with the Eos/Ion.

edit: As for CUTAT, I love trackballs as computer pointing devices, but find both them and mice awkward for controlling pan and tilt. They're okay for mirror fixtures, but it's too easy to get a moving head turned 'round the wrong way (and I didn't notice a <flip> button on the Ele). P/T should be the Etch-A-Sketch rotary encoders we're all used to, just like the HogII/III, GMA, et cetera.

edit2: Quote:
Originally Posted by icewolf08
Dave, that was a great thing, we need to find a way to get more content like that on CB!

I agree wholeheartedly. We need to send Dave to attend every industry tradeshow. Kelite is going to ProLight + Sound show in Frankfurt April 1-4. I wonder if there's room in his checked baggage for dvsDave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbb123
I might of missed it, but I sat through and EOS/ION training and they have a feature for moving lights and scrollers, that look at the next cue and move them where they need to be before the light comes up. Does anyone know if this is also in this console?

Mark cues. Yes it's there. Aka Move-in-Black, Automove-while-Dark; one shouldn't consider a console that doesn't have this feature, particularly for theatre use.

Last edited:
Awesome video! It answered all my questions quite thouroghly! Thank you dvsDave and Sarah Clausen for that! Looks like there may be an Element in my college's future!

Last edited:
I love trackballs. I hate controlling any moving fixtures pan/tilt any other way (I learned on a track ball and fins it much faster than pan/tilt encoders.

Mike

Followup, yes, it does support an external trackball. There is a mode for it. I asked about being able to map the trackwheels on the mice or trackballs to different functions and they said they would look into it. The console will ship with version 1.6 software in the summer. The price should be comparable to the old 24/48 and 48/96 Express boards :)

Any other questions? Oh, it will have two discrete DVI outputs (the demo unit had a pigtail splitting the DVI outputs, but the final won't use a pigtail) and 1 d-sub output. There were 6 USB inputs (5 on the back, and one on the front near the top right).

Last edited:
I paid $4500 for an Express 48 in '99. That's about $6000 today.

SB

Thats about what I was rough quoted. I was told the big Element console would sell for about a grand less then the ion. Basically, saying if you need the handles and don't need encoders the element is for you. If you don't, go with the Ion.

The list price on an Express 24/48 last spring was $5,250... with a street price down in the $4k's.

Street price on Smartfade is $1100-$1400. Street price on Ion without a submaster panel is around $5,500 ($6500 with a 2x10 fader wing). Element is clearly designed to fit in the middle. So I think we can expect them to list in the $5k-$6k range and street starting in the mid $4k's.

As always pricing varies wildly depending on a variety of factors see this article for an explanation of why this happens.

Basically, saying if you need the handles and don't need encoders the element is for you. If you don't, go with the Ion.
That completely sums up this console. It's designed for people who want a serious theater console and need handles, not encoders. If you want both you can have it but you have to buy a Ion with a wing.

Last edited:
FINALLY

The list price on an Express 24/48 last spring was $5,250... with a street price down in the $4k's.

Street price on Smartfade is $1100-$1400. Street price on Ion without a submaster panel is around $5,500 ($6500 with a 2x10 fader wing). Element is clearly designed to fit in the middle. So I think we can expect them to list in the $5k-$6k range and street starting in the mid $4k's.

As always pricing varies wildly depending on a variety of factors see this article for an explanation of why this happens.

That completely sums up this console. It's designed for people who want a serious theater console and need handles, not encoders. If you want both you can have it but you have to buy a Ion with a wing.

I was told the Element would list @ approx. $5,500, but not sure which configuration that would be for.... This seems to fit in with what you are estimating.

Just a quick note at those looking at the Element. I got a quote for three of the four models yesterday for our school. The largest one (60 fader/500 channel) was quoted at $5633 for delivery, install and 3 hours of instruction.

BJH

A little analysis on pricing:

An Element 60/500 lists at $7500 and Bhallerm was quoted $5600 including: delivery, "install" (could be nothing could be a lot), and 3 hours training.

List price on an Express 24/48 was $5250. List price on an Element 40/250 is $5500. An Express typically was available for $4k or less. ... do the math.

List price on an Ion without a wing panel is $6750 but several people here claim to have purchased one for about $5k.

What does this all mean? How much will an Element cost me? It's hard to say. Read this article on how things are priced in the industry for more info... then get a price quote.

Also for comparison pricing: Strand's list prices from May 08, they may have changed, dealers may also be able to cut you a better deal again see the article and get price quotes. These are for 100 control channels, with more available for an upgrade fee.
Palette Basic = List Price $5,850.00
Preset Palette 32/64 Console = List Price $6,250.00

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back