Executions via "hanging"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! :) Any and all comments are most welcome.

How is it done?

I've only seen it once onstage when I was very young. Is it done often? Are there any plays that require it?

Does it look okay?

Know of any famous examples in theater history?

Thanks for reading! :cool:

I the only show I know of a hanging in is Chicago, I have seen it done two ways, via projection and half out of sight. With projections they filmed it so you saw the girl walking to the gallows then it cut to the feet swinging. The other time I saw it the girl climbed a ladder will she was out of sight then a dummy on a rope was dropped in.

Does Judas hang himself in Jesus Christ Superstar?

"Experiment with an Air Pump" calls for a character to be found hanging at the the start of a scene. The body has to be taken down in full view of the audience.

Discussing the details may come close to violating the CB TOS. (Sorry it does violate the TOS and so I removed the details). A little bit of careful lighting completed the illusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
WE had a hanging in Candide. Now that is musical comedy.

Details removed by Gaff... sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Hate to be a broken record, but this is simply one of the most dangerous stunts to do on stage. That risk is mitigated, somewhat, by the fact that you are "discovering" the hanging body, rather than actually having a dynamic hanging on stage. I will fall back to the only safe suggestion. Call Foy or another Qualified Rigging Contractor and ask to rent a package that will allow you to do this safely.

There is no "safe" way to DIY.

Further input on this subject discouraged as it Totally Violates the TOS of CB

Sorry guys. As Van said, "It's done by hiring a professional rigger" is the best answer we can give. DO NOT attempt it yourself the chances of killing someone are extremely high. Call Foy, ZFX, or Hall.

Thread Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back