Expected life of IFR Fabric.

Footer

Senior Team
Senior Team
Premium Member
Standard cotton velour usually has a 15 year lifespan, assuming it is flameproofed every 5 years. So, that being said, what is the expected lifespan of IFR velour. Assuming it is sent out and cleaned every 5 years. Also assume they are hanging in a standard fly house in a rep situation. Does IFR fabric have the same dry rot problems of standard cotton fabric?

...I mean, how's your leisure suit holding up?
It looks just as good now as it did in 1977!:rolleyes:

But, somehow, must have shrunk over time, as it no longer fits.:confused:

Are you talking about synthetic, like Encore? I don't actually know (so why am I replying?) but I'd think that synthetics would last much longer. I mean, how's your leisure suit holding up?

Ya, like encore. This is being priced out for 2 state venues... so 15 years vs 20 years is a large chunk of change.

The IFR synthetics are generally a more durable product than the equal weight cotton product. They handle abrasion and snagging better as the fibers are long continuous strands instead of many short fibers clinging together like a microscopic "velcro" action. The extra life is between 10% and 20%. one real advantage is they tend to hold the color and "plush" much further into the life cycle, especially if subjected to UV from sunlight or old florescents.

I can't say how the polyesters stand up to dry rot as I've simply never seen one become subject to it. Don't know if I've been lucky or if that is the norm. Has anyone here had an IFR set of goods experience dry rot??

Are the polyesters the best for all uses. No. The first 4-5 years, the top of the line Cottons such as KM Memorable or Magic really do look the best. But you're paying big bucks for that look, and usually looking to simply replace the curtain at least every ten years. If the venue income and reputation warrant the A-1, top-of-the-line look, such as Radio City Music Hall, then $120K for a new set of stage curtains every ten years is worth it. If your venue is a liberal arts university, even with a good theatre program, probably not so much.

Bottom line, best look, absolute plushest, richest look, New top line Cotton. Toughest under fire, most durable, easiest to clean, IFR polyester.

The IFR synthetics are generally a more durable product than the equal weight cotton product. They handle abrasion and snagging better as the fibers are long continuous strands instead of many short fibers clinging together like a microscopic "velcro" action. The extra life is between 10% and 20%. one real advantage is they tend to hold the color and "plush" much further into the life cycle, especially if subjected to UV from sunlight or old florescents.

I can't say how the polyesters stand up to dry rot as I've simply never seen one become subject to it. Don't know if I've been lucky or if that is the norm. Has anyone here had an IFR set of goods experience dry rot??

Are the polyesters the best for all uses. No. The first 4-5 years, the top of the line Cottons such as KM Memorable or Magic really do look the best. But you're paying big bucks for that look, and usually looking to simply replace the curtain at least every ten years. If the venue income and reputation warrant the A-1, top-of-the-line look, such as Radio City Music Hall, then $120K for a new set of stage curtains every ten years is worth it. If your venue is a liberal arts university, even with a good theatre program, probably not so much.

Bottom line, best look, absolute plushest, richest look, New top line Cotton. Toughest under fire, most durable, easiest to clean, IFR polyester.
Thanks Michael! Exactly what I was looking for. Both venues in question are climate controlled 24/7 and have no doors to the outside so dry rot is rarely seen, but just throwing that out there.

A woodsmith friend of mine once pointed out that there's no such thing as 'dry' rot, all rot is caused by the same bacteria that activate whenever the moisture content passes 21% or so, either from actual water from something like a roof leak, or high humidity, such as warm moist spring air condensing on winter cold surfaces, or summertime dark periods when the A/C is turned off. He was speaking of wooden objects, but I suspect the same goes for any natural fiber, be it wood, rope, or cotton. I would assume that synthetics are immune to bacterial action, although radiation and degradation effects may eventually come into play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back