exploding invention...

adude23

Hi there,

Before you ask yes this may be a question about pyro but i do hold my certificate of pryo awareness and i am a valid member of the ASP!

So i'm competent when it comes to the operation and use of pyro, im just unsure in how to create this effect!

So anyways....

There's a cart on stage for our up and coming production of beauty and the beast, something along the lines of a chitty chitty bang bang invention!

At one point in the show it has to blow up and then emit smoke....
Ideally i'd like a robotic to go off and then a smoke pelit to sit there and burn away....The only problem is the cart is in the middle of the stage....How can i go about fireing this from remote?

Is there an easier way to emit smoke remotely and on cue
without the use of pyro?

Any help would be good!

fog works amazing for smoke and you don't have to use pyro at all, in fact its much safer than pyro. put the smoker right in the device and have it funnel out the top without a chiller and they have wireless remotes for foggers only problem i could see is getting power to the device on stage and having enough time to have it warm up....

Exactly... i was going to go for the Le Matire Mini mist but it's unable to be radio controlled!

There are pyro smoke cartridges, I use them all the time. And there are also wireless pyro systems ( I have one), but it could be out of your budget, but take a look anyways.

Why not make an effect that can be triggered by the actor on stage?
Off the top of my head I think if you wanted to get the most "bang" out of your buck, go with a balloon. Fill the balloon with confetti or powder, blow it up, attach it to the upstage side of the invention. Then have the actor pop it and you get a loud bang with debris.

Ken Pogin
Production / Tour Manager
Minnesota Ballet

Is it possible to put the fogger in a trap under the cart and then it blasts up via a fan or something into the cart where it is then diffused? We did this once for a show, not to mimic an explosion, but when the sewer enveloped the stage, the fog came out thru traps, it worked really well...

Can the actor with the cart not trigger the fog machine? That way you could use the MiniMist. Or else get hold of a fogger which can be remotely controlled plus a battery and inverter (it'll need to be a big battery!) so that the fogger can go in the cart and you can still control it from offstage.

Yeh i was thinking maybe an inverter with a cheapo DJfogger.... it doesn't have to gush smoke, it's only suppose to oooze a little, That would involve a car battery each night though HAHA

Hmmm maybe a rechargeable solution?

The DJ fogger could then just sit in there and be linked up to a suitable battery, can anyone advise on that?

And then just attatch a wireless key fob that are universal to most cheapo foggers out there?

The bang might have to be given to the sound department IMHO ;)

We have no access underneath our stage and also wouldn't be able to go with a wireless pyro package but thanks for the info and i shall have to look into the wireless systems as i didn't even know they existed before now!

Thanks,

That would involve a car battery each night though HAHA

For 12V needs, I have used Motorcycle batteries with success. Not quite as large as car style. Last season, I had a couple practicals on a rolling unit that were on for one scene each performance. We used RV/Marine medium base lamps in regular fixtures. Putting the battery on a trickle charger twice a week was plenty for an eight show week.

My m/c dealer is happy to give me old bike batteries. He has a pallet full and has to pay to get rid of them. Dead for vehicle use but good enough for us. I took a meter and found 2 showing decent voltage and both worked just fine. True, just metering voltage is not always enough but it worked here. :cool:

btw, I am not speaking to the pyro question. My thought was using this w/an invertor for a fogger.

That sounds like a very handy solution that just may solve my problem,
Let eBay motorcycle batteries ;)
By a trickle charger i just assume you mean the mains-crocodile terminal chargers used to charge M/C batteries while they're in situe?

That would involve a car battery each night though HAHA

Car batteries are rechargeable by nature, via alternator (or trickle charger - see above).

The only problem is finding an affordable inverter good for 400w (small fogger) or 750w (medium fogger). Many of the options out there are only good for about 150w. Anything with a higher output will cost some $$$.

If you go the battery route, you don't want a car battery--they aren't designed for regular deep cycling. You should go with a proper deep-cycle battery and appropriate charger.

Aye,

This then also presents another problem...
If i do go for a low output 400w fogger ... the heat up time/heat re cycle may kick in just before the cue...

Not very helpful for smoke that needs to be ... on cue

That sounds like a very handy solution that just may solve my problem,
Let eBay motorcycle batteries ;)
By a trickle charger i just assume you mean the mains-crocodile terminal chargers used to charge M/C batteries while they're in situe?

Yep. Often a wall wart style. Some will stop charging when it's 'full'. Some don't. A cheapo charger will just keep on charging and you can overcharge. Just don't leave that kind on overnight.

For convenience, you can always convert the connections to some sort of connector so you can plug the battery in to the charger when desired and perhaps to avoid having to dig to the battery in the set piece. My bike has heated clothing outlets and they serve for charger plug in as well. My battery is buried under the seat.

Probably also a good idea to have an off switch for the leads to the invertor as well. It might continue to drain a battery when not in use. Hmmmm, not sure about that part. :cool:

Would you believe it!? but after ringing round the rental companies to see what i could find i struck gold!

One has a battery operated fogger that runs from a 12v Rechargable DC and they're going to source and supply a wireless remote!

And a bargin at £40 for the two weeks run!

Thanks for your help guys, I do need to also build Led's into the "invention" so will probably end up going battery powered with those!

Another possibility is use a paintball gun with a bit of flour in a baffled container fastened to the muzzle of the barrel. The actor would have a release placed to press the trigger.

Set up a servo to activate a switch or relay to a high output battery. Trip to a local hobby store for the RC controller, servos and batteries.

If you go the battery route, you don't want a car battery--they aren't designed for regular deep cycling. You should go with a proper deep-cycle battery and appropriate charger.
proxy.php

A pair of 6v deep cycle batteries are your friend! I occasionally do outdoor theatre on an 80 acre farm in winter in Canada. 90% of our lighting is run from deep-cycles and inverters.

Our 'invention' was entirely 'child powered' by the actor who played Chip...

It was essentially a giant box, with a few of the stick on AA battery LED Nightlights inside... He pushed levers, twirled things, etc to make the 'machine' work... Then at the right moment as it 'broke' he would spray a can of Spray Fog out of a vent hole...

Then sat in there and played Nintendo DS while the scene finished.

Low-Tech, but it worked... Man, one of our Chip's was awesome-sauce... The other was a bit of a primadonna... But hey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back