Express and Timecode events

tayklor

I find myself in an interesting position with an upcoming project, and figured I should ask before I assume that this will or won't work the way I expect.

Over the summer I designed lights for a community theatre's production of an original play. This show is being remounted next month in a different space with different lighting equipment and I've been asked to design lights for the remount.

I have everything under control except for one small detail. During the original production we used the venue's Insight 2's internal timecode clock and functions to run a fairly complexly timed sequence. The duration of this was just under three minutes, and there were about a thousand events, mostly triggering submaster bump keys for lights to follow the music they were synced to, but 20 or so cues and 3 marcos were also fired.

In the new space, we have an Express 24/48. I know Express doesn't support SMPTE, but I have no idea whether it supports running timecode events via an internal clock, like we did with the Insight 2. I can probably reduce the number of events by using effects for some subsets of the sequence, but will still need a few hundred events.

So, my real question is: does the Express support running timecode events from its internal clock? We didn't interface the Insight with any external hardware, we just synced the sound and light call manually.

The ETC documentation doesn't really state one way or another about this, and searching here yielded conflicting information.

Not sure to be honest, but my instinct says even if it could it would be maxing the board.
I imagine using MSC and QLab over MIDI to the board would allow you to do a whole heck of a lot as well as run the sound file.

The Express can indeed run events from its internal clock, but it's a real time clock, not a SMPTE internal clock, and will not give you the resolution you want to have for running a fast series of cues/events, etc.

You can trigger it externally using MIDI Time Code, which is similar to SMPTE. Search on the manual for MIDI or Time Code.

Your other option is to program in a bunch of waits and delays but that's going to take forever.

David

The Express can indeed run events from its internal clock, but it's a real time clock, not a SMPTE internal clock, and will not give you the resolution you want to have for running a fast series of cues/events, etc.

You can trigger it externally using MIDI Time Code, which is similar to SMPTE. Search on the manual for MIDI or Time Code.

Your other option is to program in a bunch of waits and delays but that's going to take forever.

David

So, how different is it from running timecode events off of the internal clock in an Insight 2? Will I not have the same 1/30 of a second resolution?

Correct. The resolution will be 1 minute instead of 1/30 of a second.

David

Well, color me silly. Yes, you can program timed events at 1/30 of a second in the MIDI Time Code menu and run the clock manually. I'm not sure if the Insight2x SMPTE programming will translate over to the Express MTC, but if you send me a file, I can check it out.

Sorry for the confusion,

David

In looking over the OP's showfile, yes the SMPTE timcode events in the Insight2 showed up as MTC events in the Express.

David

In looking over the OP's showfile, yes the SMPTE timcode events in the Insight2 showed up as MTC events in the Express.
That's quite impressive. And I didn't even know the OP was considering exporting Insight/importing Express showfile. That should save a heap of programming time. Just redo the softpatch/tweak some levels and away you go.

Makes me glad I have hundreds of HogII/Exp3 shows saved on a hard drive, in the extremely unlikely event I'll ever need to remount a corporate show from 2001. Of course, some of the ML fixtures are now obsolete, but I'll just clone them into the EOS/GMA2, right?;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back