Express faceplate problems

Tex

None of the movers patched to dimmers above 512 were working so after checking that the faceplate outputs were setup correctly, I suspected that the second DMX port on the Express 48/96 was not outputting anything. I hooked a mover directly to the DMX ports on the faceplate and when patched below 512 and plugged into port 1 it's all good, when patched above 512 and plugged into port 2, no joy.
This is a good thing as I can push for an Ion to replace the whole system, but that's probably not going to happen before school starts so here's the work around I'm considering.
I have a 24/48 that I'll turn into a faceplate using the software from Emphasis. I'll reinstall the console OS on the 48/96 and use it in the blackbox (I can get everything in there patched into 512 dimmers.)
Does this sound right? Will it work? I think I'm on the right track, but this ETC stuff is new to me...

On the Express consoles it's possible to remap the DMX outputs to different ranges. Ensure that they are set to output to the desired settings. Otherwise, perform a factory reset by <following the manufacturer's instructions>. If at that point, your problems are not solved, contact ETC Tech Support at 800.688.4116.

It's not terribly uncommon for the microchips supplying the signal to the DMX ports to go bad. This can be caused by a lighting strike or other surge or spike on your DMX lines. The symptoms are similar to what you've described, where one DMX output works and the other does not. If it turns out to be that and not a software problem, it's a relatively simple fix that anyone with some technical-know-how should be able to perform themselves once they acquire the part.

So take a couple steps to ensure it's not a software problem, and if that shows it's not, then either contact ETC Tech Services or come back here to CB for further help. We have a resident ETC Tech Services guy here at CB, starksk, who will probably put in his 2 cents later today. Otherwise, feel free to PM him if you want to speak directly with someone in Tech Services.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see now why everybody loves ETC's customer service! :)
I'll try the reset and see if that works. If it's a bad chip, I feel comfortable replacing it (I even have a chip puller), but I'd MUCH rather replace it with an Ion. ;)
They're doing some construction on the school. When I came up last week, the contractors had shut down power to the whole building and UPS's were chirping all over the place; except in the booth and on the rack with the Unisys and opto splitters for the black box. I have since replaced both. I guess that could have done it. AFAIK, the system was working fine about a month ago.

Last edited:
... but I'd MUCH rather replace it with an Ion. ;)...

Well sure, who wouldn't want a $7000 Ion instead of an Express that needs a $4 chip?:lol:

I'm sure starksk will correct me, but I believe you even already have the needed chip inside your Express. The RFU output uses the same driver chip as the DMX outs. So if the RFU is not important to you, you can use its chip until you get a new one; or never, depending on how lucky you feel.

PS, I've never been inside an Express, but I hear getting it apart and back together is the most difficult part.
See also this thread on ETC's forum: express 24/48 no dmx output - Electronic Theatre Controls .

Last edited:
Well sure, who wouldn't want a $7000 Ion instead of an Express that needs a $4 chip?:lol:
Shhhhhhhh...
The fine arts director doesn't know that chip costs $4 or that I can replace it for free and he doesn't need to! :)
The district just broke ground on a new high school and it's getting an Ion. Maybe if we bought two, we could get a discount!

Last edited:
MNicolai,
If I do a factory reset, will it restore the default faceplate software or the console software?

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/mnicolai.html

It should not affect your software version. It simple resets all settings in the desk to the factory default. It is simple to check the DMX outputs though, you don't have to reset the board yet. Go to [Setup] [2 - Output configuration] [Enter] You will see a chart with DMX Ports 1 + 2. Make sure they are both running in Normal mode and then you can set the start address of each port to whatever you want. The "normal" settings would be Port 1 Start Address 001 and Port 2 Start Address 513. If it is anything other than that, it may be your problem. If after you change that or it already is that and you still can't get it to work, do a hard reset (what MNicolai suggested) to rule out any other software configuration problems.

-Tim

EDIT: I just remembered that you were running Emphasis so I am not sure how all of that is going to work. Call ETC Tech Support before trying anything too drastic.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim, but as I indicated in my first post, I've already checked the setup of the ports. Port two starts with 513, as it should.

Thanks! That looks like a fun project.
I wish I had seen your post before I left, but after an hour or so of further trial and error, I did just that (sort of).
I ended up reverting the 48/96 from a faceplate back to a stand alone console. I was more confident with my ability to patch a mover into the console rather than Emphasis because I don't have a firm understanding of EDMX yet. I addressed the fixture at 001, patched it into port 2/channel 1, and plugged it directly into port 2. There was much rejoicing.
At that point I knew it was a PEBCAK error (also known as a ID-10T error), so I reloaded the faceplate software and tried again.
After more investigation in the dimmer room and FOH catwalks, I discovered that it's a combination of things. I think Emphasis would be easier if our ETCNet system made use of nodes, but it doesn't. It's only connected between the rack and the console (for error reporting, I assume). DMX output from both ports on the console goes directly to the opto splitter and out to the rack and all other outputs in the theatre. The upshot is that I have 196 dimmers, so all of my movers have to be addressed at 197 or higher (or higher than the largest dimmer number I'm using.)
I addressed a fixture at 200, patched it in using channel 200 and EDMX dimmer 712 and it worked. I didn't try patching it to dimmer 200 without using EDMX, but I think that should work too.
At this point, I'm worried about running out of addresses for my fixtures. If I have to start at 197, that's 8 fixtures I could be addressing. I think the solution may be at the splitters. If I run the output from port 1 directly to the rack and leave port two connected to the splitter, I've then isolated the two universes and I should be able to address the first fixture at 001, patch any channel to EDMX dimmer 513 and be in business, correct?
EDIT: I see now that EDMX is a DMX over ethernet protocol and has nothing to do with the ports on the back of the console. I know I patched the way I posted above, so now I'm even more confused. Thanks for the help everyone, but I'm calling ETC tomorrow and have somebody walk me through this and explain my system to me. I know it's just the learning curve that makes it painful, but I almost miss my Innovator. :p
My head hurts...

Last edited:
EDIT: I see now that EDMX is a DMX over ethernet protocol and has nothing to do with the ports on the back of the console. I know I patched the way I posted above, so now I'm even more confused. Thanks for the help everyone, but I'm calling ETC tomorrow and have somebody walk me through this and explain my system to me. I know it's just the learning curve that makes it painful, but I almost miss my Innovator. :p
My head hurts...

Tex, I am sorry that Emphasis has made your head hurt. I would still encourage you to give us a call tomorrow if you would like some additional assistance. I will attempt to help clear some of the confusion here for you and other readers who may be following this topic.

First, derekleffew is correct when he says that you can use the RFU chip to replace the DMX chip if you need to in a pinch. He is also correct when he says that the hardest part of that swap out (or simply just replacing that chip with a brand new one) is the reassembly. The inside of an Express CPU is particularly sensitive to electrostatic discharge (ESD) and getting it back together is something that many of our factory trained technicians will still leave to us to do at the factory because it can be that tricky.

However, since you were able to load the console software and confirm that the second DMX port does indeed output, that is not the issue you face. When an Express/ion console is running as an Emphasis facepanel, the local DMX ports on the console are actually no longer standard console outputs, but instead act as nodes outputting the EDMX that is being sent on the network. The primary source of that EDMX being the Emphasis server.

By default, port 1 will output EDMX 1-512. Port 2 will output EDMX 513-1024 by default.

If your Emphasis server is connected to your Sensor+ racks, they too can get their level information from EDMX on the network. As those seem to be working in their current setup, I would not recommend changing the current configuration at this point.

For your moving lights, you will indeed need to use EDMX to patch your fixtures instead of just dimmer numbers. The other bit that is a common tripping point with Emphasis patching is remembering to assign a spot number in the data screen. A multi-parameter fixture needs to have both its starting EDMX address and a unique spot number assigned for the Emphasis server to output data to the fixture.

As for the data getting to the fixture from the port on the console, the DMX ports on the console will always output data starting at 001 (because that is the way DMX works). The translation from a softpatch assignment (either in the console (stand alone) or from the Emphasis server (facepanel mode)) happens within the console and is directed to the appropriate assigned output.

If I run the output from port 1 directly to the rack and leave port two connected to the splitter, I've then isolated the two universes and I should be able to address the first fixture at 001, patch any channel to EDMX dimmer 513 and be in business, correct?
With the above explanation, the short answer is: yes.

Kirk,
That makes perfect sense. I knew I had used EDMX to patch that mover. The output ports acting as nodes makes it much more clear, but it sounds like I still have the issue of transmitting both universes to all outputs simultaneously which limits my fixture addresses. Is this common? I'm going to call support at some point soon and get the rundown on how my system is wired.
I will learn to love my ETC gear like everyone else does and I promise not to say the 'I" word again. ;)

Kirk,
That makes perfect sense. I knew I had used EDMX to patch that mover. The output ports acting as nodes makes it much more clear, but it sounds like I still have the issue of transmitting both universes to all outputs simultaneously which limits my fixture addresses. Is this common? I'm going to call support at some point soon and get the rundown on how my system is wired.
I will learn to love my ETC gear like everyone else does and I promise not to say the 'I" word again. ;)

You are limited if you use the console as your only output of DMX to 1024 outputs (2 Universes of DMX).

It is not common to have both universes inputting to a single opto-splitter as both are actually transmitting values for 1-512 because DMX is limited to 512 channels. Some devices can act as both a merger (taking 2+ universes input and combining them into a highest takes precedence single universe) and then repeating that across the rest of the outputs.

In your case, because you want both universes to be seperate, I would send the first universe to your racks, and your second universe to the opto-splitter to send to the rest of your installation. If you need to split the first universe to other areas, I would use a second opto-splitter. (You will need to have an additional port at your end location if you need two universes there)

Bottom line: one universe per DMX output port, a unique opto-splitter per universe of DMX.

Yay!
Now I get to learn about the DMX Pathfinder. I'll have to wait until I get back to school tomorrow to see if it's the LR or the MR. I wonder if the prolonged lack of power could have corrupted the settings? I guess I'll find out. Thanks for the excellent help!

Yay! Now I get to learn about the DMX Pathfinder. ...
CB member pathway might be able to help you with that.;) One-stop shopping, for all your educational and service needs, right here on Control Booth.

Thanks to the help of the fine folks at ETC (who dug out the physical drawings of my theatre) I now know how my space is wired! It was simply a matter of plugging the right output into the right input. An ID10T error, as I suspected.
All movers and scrollers are working. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back