Extra wide Leko lens

So, my boss wants an extra wide S4 Leko lens. He wants something wider than a 90. We need to project a custom glass gobo onto the back of a stretch screen. I feel certain that such a thing doesn't exist but I wanted to check in with you guys here. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Shawn

You already can't get the whole gobo in focus with a 90 from most distances. Anything more would be worst. Can you do a blend of two gobos to form the image with two 90's or two 70s?

Also, when taking a standard leko and projecting that large of an image, intensity will not be good. I highly suggest ultra short throw projection as an alternative.

The other issue is going to be image warp, you will need to work with Apollo or rosco on ensuring the artwork is manipulated correctly to compensate for the beam modification.

In my experience, even when working with the gobo manufacturers, clarity is an issue too. The edges of the image are very rarely in focus because the focal plane is so wide.

Usually the solution for this is to project from very far away vs very close. At least in my expierence, we usually needed a super wide lens because there wasn't a "regular distance" location to place the fixture.
Another alternative is a Beam Bender. Used this behind the stage, 36deg S4 facing up or backwards into a beam bender to get that correct angle and location. Just don't hit is to 100% right away. Reflecting all the light back down the lens tube is really scary!

To use a mirror to get a substantially larger image, you need a mirror that is larger than the standard beam bender. I have done the trick with a 4x4 foot mirror and have it work pretty well. As we were using a glass mirror we lost a bit of sharpness dur to reflection from the front of the glass and the silver of the mirror, but it worked fairly well.

I think in the cases I've experienced, it wasn't always about getting a substantially large image, it was about better placement that allowed us to get the size image needed.
For example, the gobo behind a temporary stage. You can't get a straight shot without a beam bender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back