Facility upgrades ≠ Culture change

I'm just really not ok with the ranks and flags. Haha.

To each his own, though!

Actually, I kind of like the flags idea, it would be even cooler if you had a really diverse group and everyone got their own flag... Sort of like how your average theme park has people with name tags saying from whatever corner of the globe they are from, the ranks are a bit over the top tho... Name tags are never a bad idea...

It isn't my tradition and it looks a little Gestapo. But I am trying to not fight their culture. It will die over time and become Dickies blacks and probably a brother label machine last name sticker on their shirts. They seem to like those toys.

I would have loved to have worked with that many techs in HS. Then again, I would have loved to have had that kind of equipment as well.

They will probably remember these moments for years to come. Just think what it will be like when they remember it all at their reunions (not that I've gone to any of mine).

I am rather jealous. I will be returning to my former high school as a TD in title, but also as an unofficial trainer. We have about an eighth of what you have for crew, and not near the respect for the department by Admin as you are beginning to develop. I think I may steal some of your ideas.

Not to steal the thread, but do you have any ideas or suggestions on how to approach bringing in the reins a bit? The team has, in the past, operated with alot of freedom. Teacher's generally avoided giving permission or gave it to get the crew out of their hair. The crew are a genius bunch, but have a tendancy to make too many "executive decisions" on their own with out consulting people. Do I bring in the iron fist down hard and fast, or ease them in? They already know me (I've worked with them as guest TD for a couple shows a year) so being the new hardass TD won't work. Although I should mention that Admin are willing to back me in bringing some control back in...

I really like this post, As for my highschool we are somewhat the same, and somewhat different.
We have no booth and only one position which would be rear center. We have a slight sence of ownership but not over the top, I am glad to show anyone something or let them try something. As for traditions we do not have too much I think mainly because everything always gets moved around every year, I have to walk around the school every year and even during the year looking for chairs and trying to find my desklamps that people like to take aswell.
Our techs definetly feel part of the show, they are right there in it, whispering into walkie talkies and sitting next to an audience member.
We are building a fishbowl (Heard someone say this term before) booth this year so they will still be connected with the show but at the same time I think it will make us feel a little better like we meen something a little more, I am not talking about us being recognized because personally, I would rather not be recognized, a name in the program is good enough. But no one has any respect for our equipment and supplies, that is what really gets me. I am always missing something or having to go find something because someone broke it or whatever else, with a locked booth we will be able to get some nicer simply meterial things like office chairs, I would never dream of buying office chairs in our current state, I would be looking for them every day.
Actors like to sign the back of set pieces which we have no problem with, it looks kind of nice too.
The tech crew likes to write their names in the dust on the far cycs, but, those go away every time I get around to cleaning them.

Last edited:
My junior high doesn't have a theater and my high school won't have one for a couple years during rebuilding a majority of the school so I have never had to deal with the issue of ownership of a facility. However, that comes back and bites us because we have to for the most part deal with the standards of another school, which seem very low. The one item that really irked me was that the school that owned the theatre a had a play that was open for the public and the program listed a lighting designer. But, the gel and focus of 18 instruments didn't change since I designed for It's a Wonderful Life, which was in December, the mentioned show occured in May.

Great thread. I am entering my fifth year as the Stage Manager/Technical Director at my high school. It is an extra-curricular position and not a full-time one. I am fortunate in that I made it a point to show/explain/educate my principal on what goes on backstage. Prior to me doing this, the SM/TD was a gentleman who did not work at the school. Thus, he was only there for night performances. Kids who were on the stage crew would have to be pulled from classes to run sound, lights for events during the day. All of it was sort of haphazard.
Since I have had good communication with the principal, he has seen and appreciates just how much work goes on behind the scenes (our slogan is "The show behind the show"), and has worked well with me to make some upgrades. Nothing major (our drapes are a disaster), but certainly necessary. I think what you are doing is great, and the key is just that - communication. Communicate with teachers as to when kids have to leave a class, with administrators/directors/performers about what we do...It's not magic, it's hard work. And communicate that to your crew, too. Crew does not have to engage in a reverse snobbery. We are all in this together. If we do our job as best as we can, it frees the performers to do the same, which means the crowd generally gets to see a good show, and THAT is why we do all this in the first place. Contrary to some CLASSIC actor jokes out there, we need the performers as much as they need us. I try hard to get that into the heads of my crew, and I believe it has helped keep them humble (that and the fact that I tell them we are basically quasi-custodians).
Then again, my crew has never been the typical crew. It is very eclectic. We have band members, choir members, pageant winners, cheerleaders and football players on it, among others. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back