Control/Dimming Fading a long cue over shorter cues on ETC Element

leztid

I want a cue with a time of 3:00 for a cyc effect to be happening while other shorter cues are happening with different channels. Anyone know how/if this is possible on the element? I was cueing earlier today and I just couldn't seem to get it to work the way I wanted...

example:

Q1 time 5 Ch 100-118 from 0-75%. Follow 5
Q2 time 3:00 Ch 100-118 from 75-100% Follow 0
Q3 time 30 ch 40-43 from 0-50%

You can split Q2 into two parts. Part 1 would start the 30-second cue, and Part 2 would run the 3-minute cue independently while Part 1 is in progress.

To record this, go to your Q1 setting to start out. Set channels 40-43 to 50%, then [Record] [Cue] 2 [Part] 1 [Time] 30 [Enter]

Then, set channels 100-118 to FULL, and then [Record] [Cue] 2 [Part] 2 [Time] 3:00 [Enter]

When you press [GO] on Q2 both parts should execute and adjust the affected channels independently of each other.

Last edited:
Based on your example, things should have worked just fine. (100-118) move to 75% in Q1 over 5 seconds. With the follow of 5 they complete that moves and start to fade to full over three minutes. Immediately following that G-O (40-43) move to 50%. Goboman's suggestion of using part Q's is more ideal from a programming perspective because hitting back only needs to happen once to pass thru or into the entire Q. Also, if you want to combine multiple Q's already created into a parted Q, the Move-To command via tapping Copy-To twice can expidite the process rather than having to re-record as new and delete old Q's.

So what didn't happen that you wanted to happen?

Ch 100-188 never executed their fade after the follow moved onto the next cue.

I'm going to try recording this sequence with parts and see if i have better luck. Ill get back to you guys

Might be a problem with recording stage, instead of recording fixture. The element has a more "streamlined" (less feature rich) recording option than the Ion/Eos, and it is easy to record the whole stage, instead of just programmed or selected values.

The Element's Record function's basic operation is actually no different than the ION, GIO or EOS. It does lack the functionality to apply discrete timing to channels, and to apply times to Color, Beam and Focus that are different than a cue's Intensity time. It also can Record to only one Cue List. As such, it also does lack the Record Only function to Record Only Manual information, which is what I believe you mean by "recording fixture." As it is inherently a Tracking console, even in Cue Only mode it is only looking at what moves are being made, so because only one cue list can be active Record Only is somewhat limited in usefulness except when needing to Record minus subs, which can be done with a Select Manual Record command.

Regarding the Element, and maybe drifting somewhat from the original question...

Say we start a Q(#100 - time 3 minutes) that does a cyc change. About 30 seconds in, not always at a consistent time, we want to start a second Q(#101 - time 45) moving channels on actors, and some 20 seconds later yet another Q(#102 - time 35) moving a third set of channels, again not always at exactly the same time. We could conceivably be running three separate Q's at the same time.

I'm not really looking for programming it all into a single Q with varying internal times, or carefully timed linked Q's. That can be a stopgap that doesn't really do what is desired.

Can the Element handle running multiple Q's at the same time with separate GO's? Without clipping progress of the earlier Q('s)? I often run up against the Express' inability to do this. Sometimes a multi-part Q is the answer but sometimes we just cannot quite achieve a desired mix of changes. Too complex.

I understand the limitation on the Express. This venue is looking at a possible change to an Element. Would there be the same limitation? Or where should they be looking in order to achieve multiple/overlapping Q operation? GIO? EOS?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Yes. The Element can run multiple Q's triggered at different times without the new Q's taking control over others' channel levels.
This is true with an EOS family console. The way they understand how information is entered into them is exactly the same from console to console. The upper end consoles just have more ways of controlling the information.

Last edited:
Yes, the Element is a move fade console just like the rest of the EOS family. So, yes, you can have cues running simultaneously, overlapping. I have a feeling that the OP just recorded the 3rd cue without the cyc lights at their desired level, therefore creating a move instruction. This has been covered exhaustively so I am not going to. I only add that I am not sure what is meant by this:
You can even Block tracking of levels and not override an incomplete Q. Having a Q Assert itself will allow it to take control of channels that are moving in an incomplete Q.
I just wanted to throw out there that the Element does not separate Block and Assert as the rest of the family does. On an Element, a Block also Asserts. Just FYI.

-Tim

Last edited:
Tim, you are absolutely correct. I was in error in stating that (been some time since I was at the Element and not my IONs). I have corrected my post.

Thanks all for your help with this. As a side note, Record Only was added into Element in 2.0. It is accessed by double hitting the record key. Select Active and Select Manual will be added in 2.1.

a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back