Fall of 1974

BillESC

It was fall in 1974, my second year in business as Entertainment Systems and we had a contract to supply a stage, sound, lights and followspots for a political fund raiser at South Mountain Arena in West Orange NJ.

We loaded in around 7:30 in the morning and by 4:00 did a sound check.

About 5:30 I'm sitting back stage resting and waiting for the call to dinner when Bob Hope walked up to the bench I was sitting on and asked if he could join me. I said yes.
For about the next half hour we talked about this and that, he asked me about my family and business, it was amazing. To me it seemed like I was important to him.

Bob, thanks for the memory.

I wish show business would open up again... we need it.

Around 1992 just before the start of the New York City premiere of 'Toys' at the Ziegfeld, I was standing next to my follow spot mid-auditorium. The late Robin Williams, in the red bowler and coat seen in the movie walked up to me and struck up the most pleasant conversation. I'll never forget the moment, nor what a pleasant man he was. Thanks Bill ( and thanks Robin ) for tickling the neurons.

I was during production, friends of some C' and D' stars. I have friends that are are on a first name basis of A' stars in requiring them on the production crew etc.

It's nice, and a sort of theatrical tradition to have Charlie Chaplin's daughter.... cleaning up duck poop with you between scenes on her show.

Barry Manalo diverted his eyes and looked away from me in rushing to his waitng car to the hotel after the show. I was waiting back stage to strike the show in running long. I was a 70's child and he was a favorite singer. Nothing against him or productions in general for those in performing wanting to home for "Me time" - I always want to also.

I was than and am currently working in the theater/entertainment industry. In a call to my parents tonight.... I'm living that which I wanted. Yea, I climb five stories of staircases multiple times a day, carry scaffolding up and down etc.. I'm tired and my 50+ year old fingers and body is not so good. I rest, and am ready to do it again.

Not just "living the life", but doing what I always wanted to do beyond career in fulfillment. I get to do this.

I love stories like this and our industry is rife with them. Candid little slice of life stories with no malice that show that the Human condition really is universal and that, most people are just people.

I was once sitting under a tree eating lunch on the set of Men of Honor when a pretty lady, obviously an actor, asked if she could sit with me. We chatted, arte, talked about the shooting schedule, about how much fun it was to work on movies. She was from LA up here to do this movie... Finished lunch said I had to get back to work. One of the other Gaffers then said,
"Dude?!? that chick..."
"Yeah I know she was really nice I'm a very happy married man and we just ate lunch."
"No, That was Charlize Theron!"
at the time I had no idea who she was. I had two little kids at home and hadn't seen a movie in years. She was super cool.

Working at Sam's Town Live in Vegas, I had just bought my Squier P-bass about a week before, so I was sitting in the shop just noodling (unplugged) through finger exercises after setting up Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. It's a $100 piece of plywood.
But Bela's bass player saw me on dinner break and he walked over and asked what was up. I explained I was a noob, and self taught so far. Bass player said "Have you had anyone do a set up on this yet? MARS is notorious for not doing set ups.
I said "No. What's a set-up?", and he smiled and went and got his bag.

Right in front of my eyes, Victor Wooten set up my bass for me, while I waited. o_Oo_Oo_O:shock::eek::)

I will be buried with that bass. No, you can't touch it.

Strange that you mention 1974, that year I met Tom Petty in Tulsa. Mudcrutch had been signed by Shelter and they were road tripping from Florida to LA and stopped in Tulsa for a while. They spent some time doing some recording at both the Church studio and Leon's basement studio. More Heartbreaker trivia, informed sources have said that the first album was better before they finished it. They wanted to keep making it better and kept fixing things that weren't perfect. They even got into overdubbing a guitar part one note at a time. Remember this was back in ye olde analog tape days so previous takes were lost to make track space for overdubs. It did change the way they recorded and later albums were mostly studio live.

Been watching this thread for almost a week now an wondering if I should add something. Well, finally decided to toss in my two cents.

In the summer of 1959 I was working at an outdoor theatre in Cleveland (had worked there for a number of years--we used to do musicals but no more.) We had a 10 week run with various headliners of the day with assorted variety acts filling the bills. One that I remember in particular was Bob Hope. He would come in every night, prep in his dressing room during the preceding acts, and come on after intermission. Every night he did exactly the same routine, with the same jokes, in exactly the same timing, the same order, with the same patter between them. We could have been running a film of his performance every night. "Variety" show--NOT.

Another that I remember was Sammy Davis Jr. He would arrive, spend an hour in his dressing room drinking and joking with everybody backstage, then go on after intermission. He had a full glasses of bourbon just off SL, just off SR, and a couple in the piano with the band UC. Every now and then through his performance he would say, "Wait a minute-" and go off SL or SR for a drink. (The glasses were always kept full.) By the middle of the act he would say, "Wait a minute" and go up to the piano for a drink, which always got a laugh from the audience, as everyone could tell what he was doing and that he was "loosening up." Over a two week run that man NEVER did the same act twice--amazing performer!

All things considered I figure I have been very fortunate in my life. One early show I worked was at OSU, Stillwater Oklahoma in the Fieldhouse. It may have been 1970 or possibly 1971. It was Elton John with a band consisting of Nigel Olsson on drums and Dee Murray on bass. It was an amazing concert. No production, no scenery, very limited lights*. We brought over the 9' Steinway from the concert hall. All the band members were quite friendly and easy to work with (IIRC Bernie Taupin was there too). Elton even jumped up on the piano and danced, of course before doing so he went off stage and switched from shoes to soft soled leather moccasins so he wouldn't scratch the piano. Also after the concert was over the whole band waited until the audience had left and came out and thanked the entire crew. That's a class act.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the lights, a brand new company provided lights, four boom bases at the corners of the stage. This was back when PAR64's were becoming the standard fixture for concerts. The new lighting company seems to have looked at a lighting catalog to order their fixtures. They ordered Altman 8 inch ERS spots instead. Rather a narrow beam for close concert lighting LOL.

Old thread and thanks to all that replied. It is a wonderful industry with out doubt.

Found a picture from the event.
Bob Hope.jpg

As a Veterinarian, I don't get the chance to rub elbows with anyone famous... except one saturday morning.. My partner said... this lady called and is in town for the races (I'm thinking trotters)
Her dog had a broken leg in another town but needs a splint change. Can you take it? I'm booked.... I said yeah.. then looked down at the appointment book
Shirley Muldowney... she was in town for the drag races at Cordova

I said... uh Jerry.. do you know who that is? he said no... uh Jerry they made a movie about her.....Heart like a Wheel

Sweet petite lady. Pleasant conversation.... no picture please.. I don't have on my makeup this morning :)
Little italian greyhound with a front leg fracture.. re splinted and sent them on their way.

Old topic brought up. My most favorate production ever worked was back in about 97'... that of A play/musical about Billie Halloday in "Lady Day at Emmerson's Bar and Grill." It starred Ertha Kitt (Cat Woman), a friend of Billie Halloday. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Day_at_Emerson's_Bar_and_Grill

Ertha Kitt was very professional, she walked her own dogs and didn't associate much with me or our local crew other than in knowing me as the light board operator and stage hand in a professional sense. Very nice lady.

Each night was a challenge. The play was scripted and scenes pre-programmed, but frequently she would jump around in what scene or song she went into. Who knew Ertha Kitt could sing as well as Billie Halloday! No matter what scene or song she jumped to.... Go Back!... call over the headsets.... Jump to cue .... etc. That was our work, what we heard in the theater each night was magic no-matter how it went down.

It was a magical performance every night!

Later by way of like 20 years in offer to smoke weed with the tallent...
"Thanks for the offer but I'm good. I'm just here to fix some of your show follow spots." Talent was good with that in a professional way also.

Old topic brought up. My most favorate production ever worked was back in about 97'... that of A play/musical about Billie Halloday in "Lady Day at Emmerson's Bar and Grill." It starred Ertha Kitt (Cat Woman), a friend of Billie Halloday. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Day_at_Emerson's_Bar_and_Grill

Ertha Kitt was very professional, she walked her own dogs and didn't associate much with me or our local crew other than in knowing me as the light board operator and stage hand in a professional sense. Very nice lady.

Each night was a challenge. The play was scripted and scenes pre-programmed, but frequently she would jump around in what scene or song she went into. Who knew Ertha Kitt could sing as well as Billie Halloday! No matter what scene or song she jumped to.... Go Back!... call over the headsets.... Jump to cue .... etc. That was our work, what we heard in the theater each night was magic no-matter how it went down.

It was a magical performance every night!

Later by way of like 20 years in offer to smoke weed with the tallent...
"Thanks for the offer but I'm good. I'm just here to fix some of your show follow spots." Talent was good with that in a professional way also.
A slight swerve, triggered by the professionalism of many performers: one of the nicest, but thoroughly professional entertainers I've worked with was Phyllis Diller, later in her career. She made a point of greeting the backstage crew and staff, and acknowledged the lighting and sound operators at rehearsals. She didn't like the dressing room carpet at this particular theater, so she went shopping, had new goods installed, and told the owner "you've got a wonderful theater, I hope the next artist enjoys it as much as I have" and picked up the tab for the flooring.

One of my favorite acts to mix FOH for has been The Fifth Dimension. Each time I have a received a wonderful, hand-written thank you card and a modest gratuity. It's not the money, it's the lovely cards that put a smile on my face (right now, just thinking about it, too).

Really, in so many ways we are fortunate to work where most of the folks are nice, talented, and genuine.

Heard the "Wedding Bell Blues" the other day.. closed my eyes and said... aint nobody sings like that... period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back