Falling Tree

bobgaggle

For our upcoming production of Into the Woods, we're looking to have a tree fall over when the giant dies. Its designed to be a 12" Sonotube tree, 6'-4" tall (I'm working with a low ceiling), and will fall downstage. The effect is supposed to look like the tree trunk has broken, rather than it being uprooted, so a stump will remain upright, or rooted, after the main trunk has fallen. For the drop effect I've welded up a solid barrel latch that will be pulled with trick wire from offstage. This latch is mounted to the ceiling and the wire will be run across the ceiling offstage. The plan is to hinge the trunk to the remaining stump, so the two parts wont separate entirely.

The problem I'm having is figuring out how to actually make the tree tip over. After the latch is disengaged, without imparting some energy to get it falling, the tree will just sit there. I had 2 ideas and wanted some feedback.

The first is to add another trick line to the top of the tree that could pull it over, but I would want that line to detach and not follow the tree down to the deck. This idea seems too fussy for me.

The other is to put some kind of ram in the stump on the upstage side that tips the tree over from the bottom. But since we don't use hydraulics I would want it to be a manual mechanical operation. I would entertain the idea of an air piston fed from a tank offstage, but don't have much experience in pneumatics so wouldn't know exactly where to go with that idea.

Thoughts?

If it were me I would hide a gas spring inside the upper part of the tree. A quick McMaster-Carr search turns up a few possibilities. For under $20 a pop ypu can get a few to play around with to get the right speed for the fall. If you have an auto salvage yard nearby you might be able to find some there too.

I would use the barrell bolt latch for the tree falling aswell just add another line inside the tree with an eye at the end to go around the barrell bolt then add the minimal amount of weight to get the tree going gravity will do the rest.

I would build the break so it wants to fall. Probably an angle cut with the weight forward so when you pull the latch gravity does all the work. Nearly failsafe.

Build the tree so that the trunk isn't vertical to begin with, like the tree grew at an angle. This would allow you to get the center of gravity for the upper section past the hinge point, and as Brian suggests, let you rely on gravity to initiate the fall.

Spring-loaded self-closing door hinges also come to mind as a possible aid.

I like the gas spring idea...The problem with building the tree at an angle is that the rest of the trees on stage are vertical, so it sort of ruins the aesthetic if only one is tilted. Thanks for the advice. I'll see if I can link a video once its done

I was going to suggest the weighted trunk idea also, pin comes out, boom, jobs a good 'un. That or springs in one section, under tension (only enough to give a little push) so when the pin is pulled the springs return to normal and push the trunk up and over

Been crazy busy with tech...I'll see if I can get a video at some point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back