Favorite Multi-tool Brand

Favorite BRAND of multi-tool

• Total voters
ESEE formerly R.A.T. Cutlery makes my favorite "multitools" and they make real stuff, not not your gerber, or should I say fiskars, junk. Their knives are tough as nails and can handle just about anything you give them. They offer a no questions asked lifetime warranty. The best one they have is the H.E.S.T. which is currently discontinued ( I hear they are working on a second version of it). I personally have the Izula II and while not as full featured as the HEST it still has some great abilities like cutting, splitting, and smashing.:twisted:

proxy.php

The HEST

Now we're talking about some real blades.
Last month I finally bought myself the Buck 110 Folding Hunter I had been wanting for years.
proxy.php

Now we're talking about some real blades.
Last month I finally bought myself the Buck 110 Folding Hunter I had been wanting for years.
proxy.php

That is a nice looking knife. Want.

Leatherman, hands-down.

At my school, the other serious techs all had full-sized multitools, so I got to try a variety before getting mine.
One had the Wave original, another the new Wave, two others had SOG Powerlocks, and the ASM had a Gerber (can't remember the model). I remember always liking the weight of the Waves, and especially the way that the Wave original felt. Luck was with me when one of my dad's workers (he owned a remodeling business) left town and forgot his Leatherman Wave original in his tool bag. I saw it on a shelf and asked if I could have it, he said yes, and I was the proud owner of a Wave. It fell out of my watch pocket while running across the parking lot and I didn't ever find it, so I ordered another original-style on eBay for $50. My dad has also had 4 or 5 Micras, and they feel great as well.

Leatherman just makes heavier, sturdier tools.

I'd still be hesitant. I know my mother in law had her sewing scissors confiscated and this model still has acissors.

I have been on hundreds of flights for work. I have never had a need to carry any tools, ever. It is not worth the chance. Why risk being held up or missing your flight. Put it in your checked luggage.

~Dave

I stand as the owner of two seperate Gerber multi-tools.

My first purchase, years ago was a Gerber Multi-Plier 400 Compact Sport 05500 which has done me well time after time... Having instant one handed access to pliers is a think of beauty...

Follow that up with the purchase a year or two ago of a Gerber Flik Multi-Plier Black 22-01638 and you're in heaven... One handed pliers, and (which I use to shut up Leatherman fanboys every time I get into a Gerber/Leatherman fight) knives on the outside... Not to mention it's black... And anyone who works in theatre knows that black is better :twisted:

That being said, tools on the inside and all, I prefer the compact sport for basic every day use... The full bypass shear cutters on the plier are my preference to the pinch-style cutters on the Flik.

I am personally a fan of Gerber. Got one back in High School and have never needed a new multitool since. I dont know if other companies have the one hand release that I love my Gerber for but it is so nice to be able to open my tool with a flick of the wrist. Its a life saver when your other hand has an instrument in it and you cant put it down.

So far I have been big on leatherman, I own a Surge Tactical (black) which I had to send in for repair yesterday and now I feel missing and am therefor strongly considering buying a new tool so that I'll have something to work with until it gets back...

In the past I owned a Charge Ti which got "lost", and I have a vague recollection that at some point I either owned a wave or a fake wave or something or at least had access to someone that owned one and worked with his a lot.

So what would make a good second tool to own (obviously it should be black)? Has anyone tried the MUT or are they just aimed at military and not fit for theatre?

I carry a Leatherman Kick, which I use constantly. I don't see the need for the other 97 blades/tools that are on many multi-tools. I have a tendency to lose them crawling under stages, many outdoors, some on sand, so I don't buy the super expensive tools that do more things.

In high school, my girlfriend at the time gave me an original Leatherman for Solstice and I've carried their Supertool and now Wave every day since. There are other good variations on this similar design concept, like including C-wrenches, locking pliers, etc. I just haven't really needed them.

Wave....and swiss in the pocket with a butterfly on the belt! And never loan out to someone not prepared for a call. A technician without their own tools is the guy/gal who goes for coffee. I buy cheap crap at the dollar store and keep in my bag to toss at the tool-less and don't care if they come back!

A technician without their own tools is the guy/gal who goes for coffee. I buy cheap crap at the dollar store and keep in my bag to toss at the tool-less and don't care if they come back!

Both of these are great ideas. I'll have to remember that!
mmm... coffee

I think Gerber needs to be defined- there's two types. One is made in the USA- great knife, keeps an edge. Another common one is made in China, where the blade does not keep and tends to break.

I have both types of Gerber and still prefer a SOG or Leatherman. I've had horrible experiences with Gerber, and personally, would never buy another again.

I'll admit that over the years we've seen a number of USA made products subbed to other areas. Sometimes the product quality remains high while others fall off the deep end. This fact adds relevance to the ControlBooth and threads such as this to pass information among ourselves.

Thanks for your comments Cooperhodges!

I love my MUT.

I use the hammer and v cutter almost everyday. The locking bits and external blade are smooth and unclumsy.

Each, *most companies have quality tools if you know what you want to use it for. Even my little Crkt guppie is handy if I feel like running light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back