FCC Licensing

Denny586

How would I obtain an FCC portable radio license in the easiest way possible? What does it cost? how important is it really to have a license? And what are the penalties if you were caught without one?

Generally you would contact your local two way dealer who would be able to either start the paperwork or direct you to a firm that can do it.

Are you looking to buy or rent? If rent the rental agency will set you up with it. If you are buying you really have to buy through a local dealer, online is a lot more trouble. Remember even if you buy a 4 channel radio, you won't be able to use all four channels unless you buy 4 licences

How would I obtain an FCC portable radio license in the easiest way possible? What does it cost? how important is it really to have a license? And what are the penalties if you were caught without one?

Here's a recent enforcement action for $4000 for not having a license:
http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2012/DA-12-115A1.html

Bottom line is you need one, or you need to rent from someone who does. The forms are not simple and require that you select and coordinate your own frequency (a difficult task even for those who know what they're doing!)

I recommend you get in touch with a couple of two-way dealers and see if they can help you out. Or just use MURS or GMRS/FRS (or better yet, if you're going to blow money on expensive walkie-talkies, get a real comm system from ClearCom or HME).

Being the in house RF guy I was once asked to look into the process.
My head exploded in about in 10 minutes.
The FCC is worse than the IRS.

As such happened to me.. I contacted the a dealer and they are going to take care of the licensing process for us.

FCC is crazy to deal with. I get to fight with their paperwork a lot. For a new license, you need to have a frequency coordinator assign a frequency, plus all of the FCC paperwork. From memory from the last addition of frequencies, you are looking at between 200 and 400 to coordinate and license a frequency. it depends on if you are a school or not. Schools are exempt from FCC fees, but not coordination fees. I do any of my license stuff trough New Wave Licensing Services Inc in Gettysburg PA. My contact there has been Kay Orndorff, but I don't know if she is still there or not.

The process is really easy if you just cut a check to a licensing services place. you give them money, they send some filled in forms to sign and fax to the FCC, and after a bit of time you get a callsign. This has to be renewed every 5 years I think (maybe 10), but that is a online form that is easy to do.

Getting a license is the best way to go for ongoing communications. You don't have to worry about somebody complaining you are interfering with them, or the FCC sending you any not nice letters or fines. With the narrow band transition at the end of this year, I expect the FCC to step up enforcement, at least for a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back