Control/Dimming Feeder Cable Repair questions

So I have a bunch of cam lok feeder cable that needs to be repaired. Most of it just has nicks in it about a 1/4in deep, just in the rubber insulation, not the copper itself. Others are cut down to the copper itself and some have exposed cable coming out of the back of the plug. What can I do and where can I look for instruction on repairing the cable.

Thanks,
Shawn

You really should get new cable or can cut it to shorter lengths, especially since it sounds like there are MULTIPLE contusions that are quite deep (exposing copper).
Technically you CAN get someone to pull an end off and put heat shrink on each and every cut, gouge and scrape, being extra careful to seal the ones that have exposed copper... But by the time you do that (depending on the number) you might as well buy new.
Really the truth is you should buy new. Heat shrink won't last forever, eventually, it will let in water. The copper will corrode and your cable will overheat and BOOM. (okay typically not literally a boom, but it may die violently, and yes that is likely years away after heat shrinking).

Also, you saying copper is coming out of the back of the connector is BAD and certainly needs to be repaired with someone with the correct tools and training.

As I tell everyone, TREAT YOUR COPPER WITH RESPECT, it's not cheap and you need to be able to rely on it. Cable, if it is treated properly, will last a VERY LONG TIME.

EDIT: was going to say something in line with TimMc, but I don't know US electrical codes, but the same is true in Canada. It is a no-go.

Last edited:
I'd refer Shawn to the National Electrical Code - Articles 520, 525, and 300/400. Nicks or cuts that extend all the way to the conductor disqualify the cable from further use. Your local AHJ may have a more permissive interpretation but to my knowledge there is no Listed repair that can restore the full protection capability of the cable jacket as manufactured.

About the best you can do is cut them into shorter sections to eliminate damaged sections, then have new cams put on by a qualified person. Moving forward, you need to clamp down on those handling the feeders. This type of damage should not be happening to S or SE feeder unless it is being mistreated. Feeders are heavy, so often poorly trained crews will abuse them. They are also VERY expensive, which should command the respect of treating them well.

This link from OSHA speaks to the question:

https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/standardinterpretations/1998-12-16

And the NEC says:

400.13 Splices. Flexible cord shall be used only in continuous
lengths without splice or tap where initially installed in applications
permitted by 400.10(A). The repair of hard-service cord
and junior hard-service cord (see Trade Name column in
Table 400.4) 14 AWG and larger shall be permitted if conductors
are spliced in accordance with 110.14(B) and the completed
splice retains the insulation, outer sheath properties, and
usage characteristics of the cord being spliced.

110.14 Electrical Connections
B) Splices
. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing
devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or
soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall
first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically
secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices
and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered
with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with
an identified insulating device.

In practical terms, that means a major cut can only be repaired by vulcanizing.

ST

Last edited:
Around 20 years ago I was fixing feeder cable cuts with E-tape at best covering them, and thinking that’s not right... I was also studying a lot of electrical books in my new specialized field from theater carpentry. I noted in the books linemen splices to cable techniques in covering such splices and did R&D into how this might work for feeder, power and data with cuts. I came up with a plan for three classes of cable given back in those days budgets were a lot less and questioned for every dollar.

System:
Clean surface area of cut with Naptha or Goof Off if tape had been applied to it, than Naptha.

Feeder cable:
If no more than six strands of cable conductor strands cut, repair. If more, cut it there and try to figure out who made this cut for “education.” Back than I also had made some serious changes in getting hook blades to utility knives approved - helped keep the damage to the cable down, but over time such cuts to them employees not paying attention made wicked cuts to the skin. So those blades became discontinued for use. But Management found some form of safety cutter similar to work.

Given no chance of gluing the outer jacket back together will not prevent the copper inner conductors from moving, I specified 3M #2141 Rubber/Neoprene Adheasive,. To be applied to the cut and general surface area of the cut in 2/3 extending around the cable from the cut. Scotch #130c, Rubberized Electrical Tape 3/4"x30', (Non-peel off Liner) six layers thick and tapered should be applied in sealing the cut atop the adhesive for replacing any missing jacket insulation over the cut. Vulconizing tape will not vulconize to the cable short of avove glue, but does with it, and to itself; This bonded to the jacket of the cable, and bonded cut should be compliant as per linemen spicing techniques. For abrasion resistance, further application of the adhesive and two layers of Scotch #Super 33 electrical tape, and for further weather resistance a coating of 3M #14853 Skotchkote Electrical Coating.

Should the E-tape coating weather, peal it back as much as needed, clean it with Naptha and re-apply the coating up to until you got back to the tapered Rubberized E-Tape. In which case study it’s condition for replacement and otherwise go back in +33 coatings. This technique has served well for many years. Studied plan in detail for solution.

For grade SJ power cords, the same concept, but instead of inserting adhesive into the cut, Liquid E-Tape in the cut. I do not want to bond the outer jacket to inner conductors so as to prevent flexibility of inner insulated jacketed conductors. The liquid E-Tape will help bond outer jacket without too much bonding inner conductor insulation to the cut in the outer jacket.

Overall as a rule, in power cords, if you see copper, it’s scrap. Only repairs to outer jacket power cords are repairable. Same as above but just three layers thick on the rubberized E-tape. This except no cable glue into the cut - Red liquid E-tape to sort of seal the cut but also be noticable should someone be cutting it apart.

Same concepts for data cable, only skipping the rubberized E-tape steps - not carrying power and Super 33+ when glued to the cable is sufficient.

That’s been the standard I have applied for about 20 years now for cable cut repair. Simple enough and served well. Last week a senior crew chief came to me with a change in the approach to this. It would seem my specified cable repairs to feeder are not acceptable to especially line voltage cables to some NY inspector. You know, I don’t get upset about such things and accept that our amount of people on staff has grown... and certainly note those that cooked burgers last week are being trained by those that cooked burgers say a month ago in none conveyed understanding of the process. We are not in an optimum training solution for what worked well over the years. This in checking me in frequently to those doing cable repairs... this system I invented... I hear all kinds of word of mouth fiction in how to repair them. The cable repair instructions are printed on the box housing the cable repair gear.... How can such an even written down system get screwed up?

This is not a I take it personal rejection type of repair thing in figured out how to do it properly, it’s I don’t have the manpower to fix all the feeder cable with repairs that will now be coming my way. I don’t care about my solution working years no longer being acceptable, or the corporate cost buying more new cable.... I care that my department does not have enough staff to fix the extent of the problem. Discussions next week - a good training thing for those that need to learn how to do a CamLoc termination anyway people to train with. You bet, as if not always busy we will have time to circulate in the cable slingers so they get training in termermilating CamLoc. Good to do in training if the chance.

Not upset about this new change in only providing not cut and repaired cable, more about the manpower to fix the problem. My solution served about 20 years safely and we and the industry moves on in more safe from there. Fine with that, and good and safer with that given I was assuming a lot on proper training, and mostly in questioning those repairing at random... they have not been taught correctly or had knowledge in how and why they were doing these steps on a cut.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back