Mixers/Consoles Figuring out a new sound system

cnnrward

So, I'm a student at PLU and we just remodeled our theatre space, so everything is brand spanking new BUT not yet set up the way it should be.

My question is about a sending audio from the sound board (a Yamaha CL5) to the backstage speakers (controlled by a crestron system). I can send the house sound successfully but I wanted to configure the mixer matrix sends so I can send audio backstage without having the house hear it.

Does anyone have similar experience with a similar setup?

pictures attached of the crestron and patch bay

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• crestron.jpg
    crestron.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 257
  • patch overview.jpg
    patch overview.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0388.JPG
    IMG_0388.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0390.JPG
    IMG_0390.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 266
If the backstage monitors are fed from the Crestron system, doing this would require routing a console output into one of the Crestron processors, and then programming the Crestron system to mix and route that signal appropriately. Without knowing the exact configuration of your system, I doubt anybody here can give you a definitive answer to your problem. It is unlikely that the solution you are looking for will be a simple patch change in your patch bay.

If the system is brand new, as you said, you'll probably have the most luck getting in touch with the contractor that installed the system.

Wow, quite the upgrade just looking at the Racks that got installed. Damjamkto is right, without looking at the drawings for the system I couldn't tell you what to do. Based on the installation of the racks I would say give that company a call and I am sure they would be happy to aid you in what you want to do. They MIGHT even turn over the drawings to the install if you are that inclined to figure it out yourself.

I suggest starting by asking Travis to help. That system should be under his wing. CCI Solutions installed the system. They are nice folks, so you could give them a call if Travis can't help. By the way, I work at KPLU. I'd be willing to assist, but I don't speak CL5 or Crestron.

My gut feeling is that Crestron is just providing user interface to those Soundwebs in the right hand rack.
I think it's a programming change that will be needed - but it may also depend on how many of the DSP's inputs are already in use - if the feed for backstage is coming off the main LR bus that's running through the DSP en route to FOH, then that will make things harder.
I would expect that the solution will in some way involve an output from the Yamaha being connected to an input on the BSSes and then some programming tweaks in at least the BSS to make it behave...

I agree with Chris, the Crestron is probably just communicating with the BSS matrix processors with the processors handling all the audio routing and processing. The installing Contractor should have provided the system drawings and both the Crestron and BSS programs, you might want to check with those involved in the installation process to see if that information was provided, such information sometimes gets turned over to a purchasing agent or Contracting Officer in order to fulfill the Contract but then never gets to the end users.

What you want to do may or may not be something you can readily do, that all depends on how things are wired and the current matrix processor programming. If changes in the BSS programmning are required then since this is a new system and especially if there is any system warranty then you may get into whether it is work the installing Contractor can/will do as part of their existing Contract or if it may be considered Additional Services or a Change Order with some associated cost.

Thank you for all the responses! I'll have to pt this project on hold until January. I had some other things that I was going to talk to Travis about so ill bother him about it then.

For those looked closely at the provided pictures, what do you think of the patchbay labeling? It seems to reflect that with all the flexibility in routing offered by matrix signal processors, digital consoles, digital snakes and stage boxes, etc., providing functional rather than just physical references gets much more challenging as many device I/O connections no longer have a fixed assignment or purpose. For example "Yamaha Stage Box RIO3224 - Outputs, Out 1" normalled to "DSP-002 Analog Inputs, DSP 1" is pretty clear in terms of the physical connections but provides no functional context. Maybe they elected to provide no associated function description in that labeling but it may also reflect I/O that simply has no regular functional assignment.

How are most of you approaching this? Do you have a 'base' configuration with the associated functionality reflected in the labeling or do you limit labeling for commonly reassigned I/O to reflect just the physical connectivity and not any functional references?

I have to say that I am surprised at the matrix DSP I/O not having functional labeling as one would think the related DSP programming would reflect some defined function or use for each input and output. Changing what is routed to the RIO-3224 Output 1 would not typicallychange the routing and processing associated with DSP-002 Input 1 to which that output is apparently normalled, but maybe the Crestron system triggers presets or scenes that may change the associated programming and function.

I don't recommend messing with anything until you can contact the people who installed the system...get them involved so they can document any changes and get them to the school so they'll actually be on-file.

Aside from that, your options really depend on how the signal is getting into the DSP for distribution. For example: if it's a direct feed from the console, you may simply have to change the type of output (from a Matrix to a Mix) or you may have to remove the L & R sources if it is already a Matrix output, and add in groups to taste.

Again, the installer needs to have a hand in this, especially since it's such a new system - there must be some reason it's NOT the way you want it...either through ignorance or purposeful design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back