FIRST Audio Purchase/Install - Please Help

ChrisKC

I am co-director of a day program for adults with special needs and developmental disabilities. Put simply, I run a program where these incredible men and women come during the day, Monday through Friday, for fun and interactive activities until it's time for them to go home in the late afternoon. One of our core activities is theatre. They do everything themselves, from writing the script to painting the backdrop to creating the props. Since we opened in 2009, we've produced two shows every year. Our first show had nine actors and was in a very small space and our latest show featured seventeen actors who performed in our current space. Our current space is a multipurpose room. We use it for various activities, games, parties, dances, and the occasional guest speaker or blood drive. That being said, we are at a point financially that I would like to invest in some basic audio equipment. We don't have a budget per se for such things, but I have made it a priority to research our options and the costs associated. I would like to make this a reality within the next three months. Right now we have no sound reinforcement for our actors. Given the special circumstances we have, most of our men and women aren't able to wear and use a wireless system. I need some suggestions for miking our actors via hanging or possibly floor mics. We work on voice projection, but not all of our guys have the ability to project all the way to the back. We also need to run various music tracks and sound effects through this system and an occasional keyboard. We will also need house speakers and a backstage/green room monitor. And obviously we'll need a board. As far as my experience with audio, I am a volunteer FOH AE for my church. I run the Presonus SL 24.4.2 for our services and other events. I do not, however, have much experience in design. As far as future plans, we are planning to build a riser/stage about 8-12" off the floor to separate our actors from the audience and also provide a better viewing angle. I anticipate being in our current building (so using this multipurpose room as our theatre) for the next 3-6 years. After that my goal is to find a space that already has (or we can build) a separate enclosed stage (similar to most grade schools) or even a completely separate and dedicated theatre room. Just FYI...

Room dimensions are as follows:

Room: 64' 10.5" L x 30' 9.5" W x 17’ 5” H

Stage (FOS to Backdrop): 19' 9" D

Backstage: 6' 4.5" D (our green room is through the door in the picture)

I am also attaching several pictures of the space for your reference. I really would appreciate any amount of assistance or advice you can offer. Thank you so very much. This will really make such an awesome difference for our performances!

If you have any questions or need any additional information, I always reply quickly! Thanks!

Chris

I have also made a similar request for Lighting in its respective forum.

Attachments

• Backstage.JPG
    Backstage.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 142
  • DSC02654.JPG
    DSC02654.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC02653.JPG
    DSC02653.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC02652.JPG
    DSC02652.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 137
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    291.9 KB · Views: 150
  • Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 137
What is your budget for the project? Will it be a portable setup, or installed? Who will be operating the system?

~Dave

Hi Dave,

My budget is kind of mushy, but I'm going to throw $5,000 out there. Let's see what we can do with that and go from there. It may be a little less, it might be more. I'm also trying to purchase lighting as well (that $ is separate). Please keep in mind that as money becomes available (i.e. 9 months, 12 months down the road, etc.) I may be able to add pieces.

System can be whatever it needs to be: installed or portable. It's our space 24/7/52.

I will be operating the system.

Thanks!

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back