Automated Fixtures Fixture Advice

EdKaz

I have been doing boxing events for the last few years and would like to upgrade my fixtures...
What I have been using is Martin kryptons, Atomic 3000strobes and technobeams with a few coemar cf7's. We are in a new venue and would like a brighter (lamp)fixture the MSD250 lamps are not cutting It !
Looking at about 30'(9m)throw to ring.
Of course cost is always a issue...anyway has anyone used the Clay Paky Stagescans. I have found a few used in great condition !
Or try the Mac 2000's. Which would be brighter ? Or have more features. Is there anything else I should be looking at??. These fixtures would be for effect lighting only (ring<boxing round #> girl). The ring is lit with 36 ETC pars so looking for a big effect. Since Its not that critical to the event ...how are the Chinese fixtures ..or should I stay away ? We only do a few events a year and wonder if they would last ?

Thanks for any suggestions
Ed

Is a 15r lamp as bright as a MSD1200 lamp ???

How about something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/...EAAAOSw5IJWg0Wu

or is it junk ?

Thanks
ED

You're talking about 250w, 330w, and 1200w lamps. As you would guess, there's no comparison between the 1200w lamp of the Mac2000 - it's LOTS brighter than the others. It also takes lots more power than the others.

There are lots of threads about no-name Chinese fixtures and the pros and cons. Normally there would be no comparison between a knockoff fixture and a major brand's product, however the Mac2000 is arguably one of the least reliable movers ever made, which is reflected in their current used prices (less than 10% of their new cost) and probably why they are on your radar.

I did not know that about the Martin 2000 line !
I have been using Highend Powerscans 250mr's (have about 20). Love them but need brighter !
What do you think about those Clay Paky Stagescans. ???
How does the 7r,10r,15r lamps compare in brightness to the 1200w lamps ??
Thanks
Ed

You should be able to Google the lamp used in the Mac2000 vs the family you mentioned, but as they are all HID lamps and the wattage of the 1200w lamp is 4-6 times more than the other lamps, the Mac2000 is likely 4-6 times brighter than the other fixtures you mention. There are nuances related to the quality of the optical path, but it's not even going to be close.

Perhaps the question you should be asking is are the other fixtures enough brighter than what you're currently using to solve your problem? The Mac2000 is to a 250w discharge fixture what an 18 wheeler is to an F150, and is probably unwieldy for your application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back