flickering house lights

We have had two different times where a road show hooked their lighting console into our dmx and when we take
our house lights out, they have a very small flicker. The fix is to switch the bottom switch in the attached pictures to bypass. This fixes the issue but then we can't run our house lights through our panel. We have to switch it back to normal. The only thing that changes is the board. We have ETC 2.4k dimmers. I'm assuming since it has only happened twice with road consoles, and never with our console that it is an issue with the road console. It also doesn't happen with all road consoles. My main question is what do you think the issue is, and how to prevent it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG

My system does something similar when I have the Unison system fade house then run up the same dimmers on my Ion (Net2 networked system, Ion and Unison). Slight flicker. Only when going from Unison to Ion and not the other way.

As I am doing this long before the audience is in the theater, it affects nothing. It's just a momentary flicker. Because it's not the other way - I.E. running Unison levels to full then fading Ion levels, which is at the end of the show when I might be powering down my Ion with some audience in the theater. I don't care.

And so I would ask - is your flicker an issue ?. Who see's it ?. Might you do this transfer to road console prior to audience entry, which then kind of makes it moot ?.

And so I would ask - is your flicker an issue ?. Who see's it ?. Might you do this transfer to road console prior to audience entry, which then kind of makes it moot ?

The first time it happened it was quite noticeable. Yesterday was the second time it has happened and was very faint. Only my ME noticed it. Due to the fact that this is the second time it has happened, it hasn't become part of my checks before house opens. The issue isn't a major issue. I would just to find out why it is happening. Also, to stop the issue is rather simple it just puts and extra crew member on stage, when there might not be room.

DMX frame timing issue.
Frame smoother / Decelerator - DMX Decelerator

Most likely the issue. The worst for me was getting an optosplitter that was causing these issues with a pair of strobe caps. Flickering houselights while dimming are one thing. Having a strobe cap on the balcony rail flashing every minute to 5 minutes during a show is just obnoxious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back