Flickering Light Help

deadairdennis

In a club I work at I have source four lekos plugged into a 120v outlet controlled by a Luninair app on an iPad.
2 of the lights occasionally flicker in sync.
Any suggestions on what would cause this and how to fix it?
There are no dmx cables in use and I can’t find the a dmx controller in the ceiling anywhere.
Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

You say that the lighting is being controlled by an iPad app? That would mean the iPad is connecting to something via a wireless connection either internet WIFI or Bluetooth of which is dimming the lighting. Perhaps a dimmer pack with a WIFI or Bluetooth connection. Is it possible that someone else's phone or other electronic device may accidental connecting to the same lighting controlling device with out people knowing and causing these lights to flicker. I would not think it would be intentional but with all these wireless connections sometimes connections drop or other devices connect with out people knowing.

Good luck though

Do the simple first. So two of four fixtures are flickering at the same time? Are in any way these lights somewhere traced down to the same source of power/dimming the other two not yet flickering (possibly TBA in also doing soon?) Is there anything else on the loading of the other fixtures or on these? Luninair app. Not familiar with such a thing, but in "KISS" if these two fixtures were plugged into a data chain, did you try a 120ohm terminator to the circuit? A crew I worked with, while I was getting stuff done... wasted most of a day in trying to troubleshoot problems with some foot lights. Did you try a terminator for the data? No, these are just too modern to need them. Did you try this? Tried and fixed.

Figure out if you have the fixtures plugged in somewhere in a common source of power. A cheap home owner outlet sparking to it's last use before a fire. Trace where the two fixtures are plugged into power wise to see where both are in common. Could be a bad breaker or dimmer termination - last week I had a wire fall out of a dimmer installed by a Pro. Literally, the wire just fell out while removing the breakers due to a "bad board".... or was it because that wire just was not terminated properly? That would flicker also, and one light possibly terminated in the same place.

After very important power - that which could start a fire, data. Bad terminations etc. Above terminator immediately solved the problem no matter how modern the gear. But first check the power supply trouble shoothing as that is much more dangerous to ensure correctly done.

Do the easy first in tracing where these fixtures have in common for power. This might be by chance two loose terminals say in totally un-related terminals from supply, but important to trace the line voltage in checking. Often I recommend, that if there is something suspicious on one end of the cable, open up the other end of it. What is done to one side is often done to another.. In your case, even if a home run for power to dimmer/breaker in tracing the power to one circuit, what is done to one could be a problem to all - the second even if not connected in any way could be similar still. Check all power connections good or bad in finding the problem.

Than the data next.. one might think, buy at times, the simple is stupid in not doing the simple first. Terminator solved the foot light problem, but assured power was not, KISS said terminator testing to solve the problem than all connections for data.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back