Rat Stands Trio 4 with Powerline PSU

Lite rite

Our Orchestra purchased 80 new music stands a few months ago. I have been struggling with them randomoly "Flickering" or "blinking" off very quickly and randomoly in the orchestra.

They are DMX Controlled, address 1 into an ETC gateway controlled by an Ion with 2.9 Software. I made my own fixture profile, they have an intensity, color temp, and 6 zones of control for the attributes.

I can control them fine, but when i use them at 100% The problem gets worse. When I put the Intensity Main and all zones at 90% it calms down but is still there.

I have tried putting a "Ghost load" 375w lamp on the circuit with the powersupplies. It makes no diffrence.

Anyone have any thoughts, or have worked with this particular fixture?
Attached are the manuals that seem to be the most accurate for these fixtures (There are multiple that overlap/have conflicting information)

The next thing I'm going to try is not using DMX to control them but just have them ON from the PSU.

Attachments

• trio4-opera-light-jul-19.pdf
    915.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 74Q371-Trio4-Powerline-PSU-Specification-2023-05.pdf
    216.8 KB · Views: 35
What are the PSU's currently plugged into? Is it a dimmed line parked at full, or is it a clean power run?

Is there anything "messy" on that same power, like air handling?

Do you have a terminator in line?

Are these each individually plugged into DMX? 80 fixtures would be way more than the recommended 32 on a single dmx line. Can you isolate it down to about 30 of the fixtures, and see if the problem goes away?

Edit: I just looked at the manual, and looks like you have 10-17 possibly plugged into each PSU. That would mean that you have what, 6-9 PSUs? That points me more towards a terminator or messy power. If you only plug half of them in, do you have the same problem?

What are the PSU's currently plugged into? Is it a dimmed line parked at full, or is it a clean power run?

Is there anything "messy" on that same power, like air handling?

Do you have a terminator in line?

Are these each individually plugged into DMX? 80 fixtures would be way more than the recommended 32 on a single dmx line. Can you isolate it down to about 30 of the fixtures, and see if the problem goes away?

Edit: I just looked at the manual, and looks like you have 10-17 possibly plugged into each PSU. That would mean that you have what, 6-9 PSUs? That points me more towards a terminator or messy power. If you only plug half of them in, do you have the same problem?
I did seperate the two into two A R20 - Switched non-Dim Circuits. They were previously (All Powersupplies) in one indepent circuit (going to a breaker panel), so I thought the same thing! And they still had the problem when I split up the power supplies (4 in one, 5 in another cirucit).

I didn't try a terminator we didn't have one avaliable, but earlier today I just placed them in stand alone mode with 100% on and theyre stable now, but I sure would love to control them via dmx. Might source a termator. Has to be something with DMX.

Edited: A R20, switched circuit.

Last edited:
Do you have RDM turned off on that DMX run (output settings for the specific port in that Gateway)? That's always a good place to look for occasional weirdness like that--especially if periodic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back