Flickering lights

dvyjones

Hi,

At my school we have an EDI Troubadour control console and EDI Scrimmerette II dimmer units. Lately the lights have started to flicker without touching anything. You put the lights at the level you want them too, then all of a sudden all the lights flicker. They might go to full level for a split second, and then to black, and other random levels, almost as if the sensor pin on the microprocessor is floating (disconnected). All the lights connected to the same submaster or channel seem to flicker at the same time.

Any idea what might be wrong? The board is pretty old, I'm guessing late 70s, but nobody knows for sure. It's locked inside a cage, so it doesn't get that much abuse, but some students have access to the cage since the auditorium is basically student-run.

Could be several different issues, I'd start with 'dirty pots' The troubadour is equipped with Self cleaning pots one of the first things you can do is exercise the board by running every slider up and down several times. this should clean the accumulated dust and coke and Mt dew from the inside surfaces of the pot. Make sure to do the same thing with the subs and Master sliders. While you are running the sliders up and down be sure to be aware of how the pot feels. If you feel rough spots it's probably a good sign that the pot is shot, or there's something really big stuck in it. Other than that check the connections and anyplace the control wire runs through a grommet, make sure the wire hasn't worn away its insulation and that no solders have come loose in the plugs.

Thank you, I will try that.

Actually, I'm starting to think it's the cable. Later today the lights went out completely. The lighting board is on, and the dimmers are on, but the indicator lights on the dimmers that's supposed to be lit when a board is on and connected isn't lit. We had this problem before, when the cable had just gotten loose on the back of the board, but this isn't the case now. I'll try to get ahold of a new cable to test with.

Btw, we're using the digital cable that's a DA-15 connector.

We're still using a Troubadour here too.

The most common problem I have been running into is the Cinch-Jones connectors. It may be worth double checking that they are still making good contact.

Our theater gets flickering lights whenever 2 DMX signals are appearing at the dimmers at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back