Flying Bike and Child?

Theater

Hi everyone!

We are in pre production for a show in which the script requires a child, and his brand new bike which he received for Christmas, to fly. We plan to do this part up against the black-out curtain, with only a single follow spot on he bike and our actor. Does anyone have any advice for how to get this effect to happen? The child needs to go approximately 3 feet off the ground. This is an extremely low budget show, so it needs to be cheap

thanks,
T:)

I can think of 2 ways that you can accomplish this safely and cheaply.

1: Have the kid ride the bike up a ramp painted black, with railings and glow tape and everything else you can do to keep him from falling off.

2: Have a few people dressed in all black lift him up. (This is how Addams Family did a levitation bit on Broadway, very convincingly.)

DO NOT try to rig up something yourself to actually fly the child unless you want to kill him.

I can think of 2 ways that you can accomplish this safely and cheaply.

1: Have the kid ride the bike up a ramp painted black, with railings and glow tape and everything else you can do to keep him from falling off.

2: Have a few people dressed in all black lift him up. (This is how Addams Family did a levitation bit on Broadway, very convincingly.)

DO NOT try to rig up something yourself to actually fly the child unless you want to kill him.

Marshall,

Thank you for your reply! I was just texting my colleague on this production, and she brought up the Aadams family as well...

She also brought up having the bike and child on a platform affixed to a floor jack, which would be right up against the black out curtain? What is your opinion on this?

thank you so much,
T :)

I would vote for the ninja lift
we did a flying carpet for a dance recital a few years ago and it worked surprisingly well. Focus a special or two that light only the raised bike, and shutter off any thing below.

After all it is WSOD (Willing Suspension Of Disbelief)

Have a few people dressed in all black lift him up. (This is how Addams Family did a levitation bit on Broadway, very convincingly.)

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

We are in pre production for a show in which the script requires a child, and his brand new bike which he received for Christmas, to fly. We plan to do this part up against the black-out curtain, with only a single follow spot on he bike and our actor. Does anyone have any advice for how to get this effect to happen? The child needs to go approximately 3 feet off the ground. This is an extremely low budget show, so it needs to be cheap

thanks,
T:)

T, it seems like you have already (wisely) ruled out rigging up any kind of a janky, homemade flight system in a weak attempt to be like the pro's at Foy, ZFX, Hall Associates, etc...

I cannot tell you how much this warms this crusty rigger's heart! You can't fly on wire safely doing it yourself (I say this all the time, pardon the repeat!).
:cool:

I've seen something like a movie boom crane work for simple low lifts. Hook up the bike to the boom right in front of the curtain, with an op on the other end of the boom. Counter weight appropriately and it would work.

Sorry Synchronist, but there's no such thing as a "simple low lift" when people are involved as the cargo. And it's not nearly as simplistic as what you've laid out. (Oh, and welcome to the Booth. I get all grumpy sometimes, and it's nothing personal! We're all glad you're here. Do you know Gafftaper? :)

Welcome to the Booth Synchronist! You are knew around here so let me point out that What Rigger? is a pro who flies people every day at work, so when he says it's not safe, he knows what he's talking about. He does get grumpy about safety short cuts sometimes, but it's only because he fully understands the serious danger involved more than the rest of us. I enjoy contacting him in private and sicking him on schools that are taking dangerous risks with the lives of their students.

Sorry, I don't think I know Synchro, but be warned our Pacific NW crew is growing and slowly taking over the Booth! By the way just so you all know, The Pac NW CB Crew has officially claimed British Columbia (and Tyler). We now claim, Washington, Oregon, B.C., and Alaska, Idaho, Montana, and Northern California are all be considered for membership at a future convention. Our first Pacific NW Convention back in 2008 was a little small, DSC00817.JPG (That's Me, my boys, and Van) but next time it's going to be spectacular! Be sure to join the Pacific NW CB Crew for more local chat topics.

Synchronist,
Listen to rigger and gafftaper. A few years ago my musical director got it stuck in his craw we could rig it so Glenda and the wizard in Oz could levitate (he and the previous tech director did it in Godspell). I said we can't and he went ballistic. It was through these fine people and their writings that I finally convinced him and, more importantly, my principal, that there would be no flying of people of any sort unless we hired professionals. The early ideas above mentioned sound great. This is theater, not Hollywood. The audience generally gets this (although not necessarily the director!).

Welcome to the Booth Synchronist! You are knew around here so let me point out that What Rigger? is a pro who flies people every day at work, so when he says it's not safe, he knows what he's talking about. He does get grumpy about safety short cuts sometimes, but it's only because he fully understands the serious danger involved more than the rest of us. I enjoy contacting him in private and sicking him on schools that are taking dangerous risks with the lives of their students.

Sorry, I don't think I know Synchro, but be warned our Pacific NW crew is growing and slowly taking over the Booth! By the way just so you all know, The Pac NW CB Crew has officially claimed British Columbia (and Tyler). We now claim, Washington, Oregon, B.C., and Alaska, Idaho, Montana, and Northern California are all be considered for membership at a future convention. Our first Pacific NW Convention back in 2008 was a little small, View attachment 8035 (That's Me, my boys, and Van) but next time it's going to be spectacular! Be sure to join the Pacific NW CB Crew for more local chat topics.

Ive been claimed by who now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back