flying hardware

Brad,

Excellent post. It states more clearly than the way I stated it in the last paragraph of my post, the various pitfalls and potential issues involved with pro-bono or "in kind" type of work. There are lots of gray areas in this kind of work and no "Signing Off" by any party absolves anyone else from negligence or poor workmanship. Thanks for a well parsed post.

Last and not least, If the worship director is not a licensed engineer, his signing off does not release you of all responsibility or liability. In fact, even if he is, you or us in the case example I gave in another post, are not entirely off the hook. Should anything happen, the lawyers will try to show that "just following orders" is not an excuse for poor practice, ignorance of good practice, etc.

I never considered that having a structural engineer or having the the worship director sign off on the project would alleviate my or the church's responsibility or liability in case of a catastrophic failure. it does help to keep the bases covered and assure safety which is my goal in this

ok so here's an update, kind of. we've decided to simply buy new speakers with integrated fly points. 2 Mackie HD1221 speakers to be exact. now in the owner's manual the size of the forged eye bolt needed is M10 x 1.5 x 37 mm, now finding that specific size has been a bit of a problem so i'm wondering if you guys know of an alternative size or know where i can find said size. as always help is appreciated.

McMaster Carr

McMaster-Carr

M10×1.5 230 507 25 17 3107T43 $4.14
Type 304 Stainless Steel
M10×1.5 170 370 25 17 3100T12 7.92
Type 316 Stainless Steel
M10×1.5 170 370 25 17 3130T12 9.73

ok so here's an update, kind of. we've decided to simply buy new speakers with integrated fly points. 2 Mackie HD1221 speakers to be exact. now in the owner's manual the size of the forged eye bolt needed is M10 x 1.5 x 37 mm, now finding that specific size has been a bit of a problem so i'm wondering if you guys know of an alternative size or know where i can find said size. as always help is appreciated.
Mackie - Accessories available from:

Mackie PA A2 Eyebolt Kit for HD Series Speakers | Full Compass
Mackie PA-A2 Eyebolt Kit for Mackie HD Loudspeakers PA-A2 B&H
Mackie PA-A2 | Performance Audio
Mackie PA-A2 Eyebolt Kit for HD Series Loudspeakers
and many others...

Maybe not the cheapest option at $47.99 for a kit with four eyebolts but they seem readily available and you know they're what is recommended for the speakers. Be sure to read all the rigging related information in the HD1221 manual.

yeah i found those about 5 min after posting about this, they are a bit pricey especially since we're only gonna use 3 per speaker.

we are taking into consideration the possibility of an earthquake and the requirements of this. which, for me, is kinda amusing being a California native. a major earthquake in WA is the equivalent of a foot massage.
The 1994 Northridge quake was a 6.7, the 1989 San Francisco Quake was a 7.1, The "Great Quake" of 1906 (estimated largest quake in San Andreas history) is estimated at a 7.9.

Now, look up "Cascadia Subduction Zone". Short version: 9.0+ quakes about every 300-600 years (plus it can generate massive Tsunamis, similar to the one in Indonesia in 2004). Our primary fault has been pretty quiet since it's last major quake in 1700 and that's a very good thing. 2012-1700=312 years :shifty:

Then there's the "Seattle Fault" which runs East-West from Hood Canal to the Samamish Plateau. It can create 7.0+ quakes and generate small tsunami's inside Puget Sound which would wipe out everything near the waterline with a 16-20 foot high wave in less than 2 minutes from the start of the quake.

So I wouldn't use the words "foot massage" to describe earthquakes in Washington, I would use the words "time bomb".

Last edited:
In my experience all the sign off etc only works to have the insurance companies who have insured the person/company signing consider paying the claim . If things go horribly wrong, everyone gets sued.

Sharyn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back