Focus palettes not tracking on ETC GIO

jjdrummer

Forum,
I am a high school designer preparing a two stop tour of our show to the national thespian conference. Because our show us only allowed a four hour load-in/set up time in the venue, I am pre-programming on my console ahead of time, and have encountered a tracking problem.
I have programmed all of the first act with focus palettes for our moving lights, but without being in the venue I couldn't make accurate palettes. For this reason, all the palettes ended up being at 0,0 (as a place holder). Now I realized that the moving lights aren't tracking into the cue before: they are not moving to the focus point in the cue before, but moving to the point while the intensity comes up. Typically the software would move the lights to the right point before, so that only the intensity would come up during the cue.
Has anybody had this same problem? Any way to fix it?
I have checked that the board is set to tracking mode, and have added faux focus points randomly, but the focus is changing with the intensity.

First of all you need to go into File-Setup-show settings and make sure Auto mark is enabled, this will make your fixtures "move in black".

Then switch over to desk settings and under record defaults change the update mode to All or Ref only, depending on how you want to use the update button. In All when you press update it will update the cue and the palettes. in Ref only it will only update the palettes in the cue.

My recommendation would be to set it to Ref only, but this is based on my personal preferences. I would try both in a practice file and see which one you prefer.

First thing - your console is displaying correct behaviour. Tracking keeps information the same until the next move/change instruction. In this case you are giving the instruction in the same cue that the intensity is fading so the correct behaviour will be for the light to move as the intensity comes up. You can either go back a cue and set the focus of the fixture in the previous cue, and then let it track forward, or as CPayne has pointed out make use of the Auto-Mark facility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back