Followspot stands

NewChris

My high school has two altman 100Q's. They aren't in great conditions. I had posted about getting new ones, but the grant we proposed didn't pass. Looking at our current lights, a big problem is the stand. Can you but new stands and how much are they? Some of the problems ca be fixed with WD-40, but others I think are more serious. Would it be worth investing money for new stands? Would be better off waiting until we have enough money for new lights?

My high school has two altman 100Q's. They aren't in great conditions. I had posted about getting new ones, but the grant we proposed didn't pass. Looking at our current lights, a big problem is the stand. Can you but new stands and how much are they? Some of the problems ca be fixed with WD-40, but others I think are more serious. Would it be worth investing money for new stands? Would be better off waiting until we have enough money for new lights?

There's not much to the stand, 2 steel tubular sections on a triangular base with casters. A couple of locking collars and the yoke. I'm curious as to what's gone bad enough that isn't fixable in the field.

Mind that Altman still (AFAIK) sells all the various parts for this unit, so if you find something that you can't fix/service, call your local dealer and get prices. The parts manual is here:

http://www.altmanltg.com/altman-lig...followspot/1000Q-Followspot-Parts-Diagram.pdf

I know a high school that simply bolted pipe to the wall of the booth and slipped the yoke and upper pipe into that. Made for a solid stand! They were the old 2100's. Basically like a 1000Q only with the 2100 watt lamp and transformer pack.

There's not much to the stand, 2 steel tubular sections on a triangular base with casters. A couple of locking collars and the yoke. I'm curious as to what's gone bad enough that isn't fixable in the field.

Mind that Altman still (AFAIK) sells all the various parts for this unit, so if you find something that you can't fix/service, call your local dealer and get prices. The parts manual is here:

http://www.altmanltg.com/altman-lig...followspot/1000Q-Followspot-Parts-Diagram.pdf

One just needs WD-40 as it scrapes when moving up and down. The other wobbles a lot when moving it at all. I don't know why put there is a lot of tape on it to try to stop the wobbling. I think I will need to take the tape off.

WD-40 is a terrible lubricant, it's not really a lubricant at all. Spray some white lithium grease on there instead. And yes pull the tape and find the real problem that the tape is covering up. It may just be something that needs tightened. I've seen it happen before someone can't figure out how to fix something simple so they tape over it to try and "fix" it. Everyone else just assumes it's really broken and keeps adding tape to try and stabilize it.

WD-40 is a terrible lubricant, it's not really a lubricant at all.

The shop in the space I work in LOVES WD-40 and it's so frustrating.

Also, the worst mistake I have ever made in the theater was using WD-40 to lubricate the shutter blades on 30 of our Strand Lekolite zooms and no one could be in the space for a few days as the WD-40 vaporized off and dissipated :/

I did take the tape off. under the layer my friend had put on, was another layer. under that was an interesting sight...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392150996.228345.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392151017.065587.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back