found some floor monitors :)

AlexD

We were clearing out the recording studio yestday and found two floor monitors that are aparently drama departments, yay. I tryed them out with an iec power cable, a guitar cable to conect the linking monitor and an xlr cable going to a mic. There was an awefull hum going on, i made sure the xlr wasent next to a power cable but it still happend, i then took the jack out to just run on one monitor and it still humed, it wasent turned up to high about as high as a loud hi fi system.

What could this be?

It could be many things. To help us help you better, let us know exactly what make and model gear you were using, and exaclty how you had it hooked up. My first thought is to check all of your cables to make sure there is nothing wrong with them, and double check all of the settings on the speaker (it sounds as if it is some sort of active speaker). Swap the IEC, XLR, microphone, and mic cables you used with cables and a mic you know work well, and try it again to see if you get the same results.

If they are not an active speaker set, you really should not be using a guitar instrument cable to jump the speakers together. You should use a heavier guage cable. If you were using it just for signal input to an active monitor, that is ok.

~Dave

OO yes now you say that yes it is an active speaker but only one is the other one runs off the power of the first powerd monitot, i have tryed other cables exsept the iec power lead, im thinking that might be it. Will try this tomoro and i will get you a modle. befor i pluged it into a mic but to day i plug it into a mixer and used a wireless headset for a mic witch dose work fine so it isnt the the xlr (i hope or we have sevral bad cables :()

Another thing you may want to try tomorrow is just testing the single active speaker (without the non-active speaker connected) to see if you still have the same issue. Also, you may want to try another power outlet in another room to see if you may have some power issues from that outlet. Certainly not a definitive test, but it starts to give us more data to work from.

~Dave

I havent been able to play around with them yet, the modle's are cp-19 yamha powerd monitor and the unpowerd cm-19 yamhha. I dont think its a grounding isue with the XLR cable unless, we have no adapters to conect a female XLR to the board apart from the L&R witch i had it pluged into and the main L&R in teh groopp chanle coz there done by jacks (hehe it will be changed with the update) unless the boards xlr conector is bad or the monitors xlr conector is bad.

When i get a chance i will play around with it more and try the things u sugested.

Ok i had a quick play with the monitors, used a difrent IEC power cable and a difrent xlr cable, with and with out the unpowerd monitor. The hum dosent get any louder or quieter when I chanle the volume. And I dont think this is right but the volume is rather loud on volume setting one, its a powerd monitor as I have said so i dont think I can change the volume on the amp, the volume control is probly the amp volume, dont quite know how it is set up.

No its a selfpowerd monitor, it hums when its pluged into the mixer and when i just have a mic pluged strate into it, I dout it is a difrance between the line level and pre amp becaus it is yamha and i dont think they would make much of a silly mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back