Career Advice Freelance Stagehand Resume

pat811

Hello Everyone,

I work in and around Chicago as a freelance Stagehand doing a myriad of different jobs (i.e. scenic crew, lighting, sound, warehouse work, general strike crew, and many other random tasks) for many different companies and I'm wondering what the best way to put all that experience on a resume might be. Just list the event/company/general responsibilities? Or just one general statement stating all the different jobs that I have done? I don't know if listing every event would work because during any given week I work for a different company for a different event 6 out of 7 days. Your input is much appreciated!

Thanks!

While my experience is probably a little different, here's what I do. I have a resume for Union work and One for non Union work. I'm in a right to work state, and typically do a little bit of both. On both resume's I have my contact info, a current mailing address, and Usually a cell number or my website domain. Needless to say, spell everything correctly.
On the non Union resume I list the Company I've worked for my title and what the venue is, and my dates employed. In that case I Just add in the local I work for, my membership status and my start date, I still take calls regularly so I list the IA as current employment. I include my BA in contacts. On the Union resume I list the Local Membership, and my total number of hours. Below that I also list any shows where I work Head positions such as Steward, Head Electrician or A1 or something like that. I would also include long term work like a solid months in a shop or months doing installation work or something like that. When that was on the sparse side I included show calls. I also point out that I have a full and current list of all my shows on Excel which has saved my butt on more than a few occasions, and I make a small note that that paperwork is available for anyone who wants to look over it I've never done a tour but that would be an important thing to have in there. I make sure that I Let my BA know that I'm applying for a job, and make sure that his contact info is on there. Anyway, that should give you a bit of a start to work with. Good luck

A few questions as it seems like you have generealized and not really gone into a specific discipline. Do you have any higher end experience in any discipline?Audio, do you have any digital audio console experience, what is the extent of your experience with audio processing, do you have any aviom experience? Scenic, are you a knowledgeable rigger, can you weld, do you have experience with exotic materials beyond metal or wood, do you have any scenic automation experience?Lighting, do you have moving light experience as far as repair and maintenance, do you have any experience on industry standard consoles I.E Grand MA or HOG, do you have any experience with lighting networks, do you have a working knowledge of the application and safe use of of 1 to 3 phase power? Do you know proper fall arrest procedures and the OSHA guide lines? What is your goal in doing this with your resume? Who have you worked for in Chicago? What exactly do you want to do? Are you looking to work in union or non union settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back