G-38 Lamp Socket Extenders

The fixture we're working with has a metal casing around the socket that also is where the reflector is mounted to. Turns out for this show we just want the lens to glow, so not an immediate need, but I may be contacting you in the future once I've got some desk time.

Be interested in further defining. Reflector mounted to a lamp socket lamp casting is not unusual in any number of fixtures. Normal and hope not connected... These things happen in support of a design. Key is to stay professional.

A few weeks ago a designer on a Euro tour currently requested some Low Pressure Sodium Vapor High Bay fixtures for the US leg of the tour. (He was appairently using such lamps/fixtures on the tour.) A lot of drama in figuring out that the designer's goal was missunderstanded as per high pressure sodium vapor lamp high bay fixtures needed. given his request did not exist. A Mansplaining to a Man designer perhaps on my part.... LPS are not a high bay fixture type ever sold or an existingthing... Yes we had some sodium vapor low bay lighting as it turned out, in a storage building which we would be willing to remove and replace if wanted for the tour.

That was weeks ago, suddenly yesterday the design team came down with, "Yes we want" the low pressure sodium vapor wash lights - them that do not exist and never did other than for a parking garage light - not as per a high or low bay light. (Don't get me into the drama of the Tim & Faith actual LPS wash lights from many years ago I had to invent .) The discussion of low pressure verses normal sodium vapor lamped fixtures as a detail was left out in reply to them now wanting the fixtures... What wattage, can you send us photo's of what you are using on the Euro Leg to match?

Tour sent photo's of what they are using = metal halide 400w lamped fixtures. We guessed that it was the start up curve of the lamps in question the designer was designing around. Been there, done that in reason for requesting the fixtures given more information.

Another question went out, thanks for the info on the lamp and the photo of the fixture spec's.... do you want metal halide fixtures in the photo you are using, or sodium vapor fixtures you requested which will be hard to find lamps for?

Oh' no... metal halide (HMI) lamped fixtures will be fine for the tour was the reply. Wasn't the instructions we were given a few weeks ago, wasting a lot of man/hours in discussing and researching the viability of their original request. Upcharge in materials... but overall I wasted many man/hours on quoting the origional request out. Starting over.
Luckily at least this time I have two weeks to figure out an option, once the designer let us know what he actually wanted. Normally pre-planning is not given.

Money will still be good in taking a storage building lighting out and replacing it with better lighting. Challange for me is as with purging of lamp stock... I have already purged most of that lamp type. Might have still saved some... I will probabably have to modify the fixture in venting given a designed horizontal hang, but easy enough to do.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back