Gels on house lights safe?

I light my (bed)room blue with the soft glow of a single ceramic-coated incandescent medium screw base S11.

Well if we want to discuss how our rooms are lit:

I have some awesome ceiling draperies stolen from a recent show (crushed voile in Red, which we had a bunch of goombas distress with wire brushes then attacked with blow torches and spray paint, then fireproofed), with some PAR20s in R27 overhead bounced off of the ceiling, for a nice, red light, wash. There are some gaps in the drapes, so through those i have some PAR16s in some sort of CTB focused on the various places where I might be reading at any given time (sofa, bed, beanbag chair. Underneath all the furniture, I have some PAR16s with tough diffusion going down with R99 for a brown under-glow to everything. I wanted to put in a hazer, but that made the fire alarm go off. I need to re-paint the walls soonish, because I re-painted them flat black when i moved in, with Brick Red crown moulding and foot boards and chair rails. Looking for some mini-profiles to thow gobos onto the floor, but the S4 Jrs I "borrowed" were way too hot and hanging them was too much of a pain (I have 14' ceilings in my house, so I can do stuff like this).

Well if we want to discuss how our rooms are lit:

I have some awesome ceiling draperies stolen from a recent show (crushed voile in Red, which we had a bunch of goombas distress with wire brushes then attacked with blow torches and spray paint, then fireproofed), with some PAR20s in R27 overhead bounced off of the ceiling, for a nice, red light, wash. There are some gaps in the drapes, so through those i have some PAR16s in some sort of CTB focused on the various places where I might be reading at any given time (sofa, bed, beanbag chair. Underneath all the furniture, I have some PAR16s with tough diffusion going down with R99 for a brown under-glow to everything. I wanted to put in a hazer, but that made the fire alarm go off. I need to re-paint the walls soonish, because I re-painted them flat black when i moved in, with Brick Red crown moulding and foot boards and chair rails. Looking for some mini-profiles to thow gobos onto the floor, but the S4 Jrs I "borrowed" were way too hot and hanging them was too much of a pain (I have 14' ceilings in my house, so I can do stuff like this).

Very nice.

I'm working on some RGB LED track lighting (Based on these: MegaBrite ) with webpage control. I've written the code, just waiting on monies to actually build it.

Very nice.

I'm working on some RGB LED track lighting (Based on these: MegaBrite ) with webpage control. I've written the code, just waiting on monies to actually build it.

35 lumens, and its not out of most price ranges to get maybe 20 (still like 200 bucks, but for a color changing LED room that would be acceptable, in my book. I wish I had LEDs, because all my PARs rip through gels really fast at full, I can use a full sheet of gel (combined various colors) a week.

Looking for some mini-profiles to thow gobos onto the floor, but the S4 Jrs I "borrowed" were way too hot and hanging them was too much of a pain (I have 14' ceilings in my house, so I can do stuff like this).

Um, would using Source 4s (Jr or not) indoors residentially be a good/safe idea, even with 14 foot ceilings? I mean, they're certainly cooler (heat) than Colortran 5/50s, but they still get hot enough to be a fire hazard if used incorrectly.

So, what do you guys think about a lighting person transforming his/her room like this? Personally, it's something I'd like to try. I'm kind of tired of a few CFLs lighting my room, and it would be interesting to try something in that direction.

Sorry in advance about the offtopicness.

Um, would using Source 4s (Jr or not) indoors residentially be a good/safe idea, even with 14 foot ceilings? I mean, they're certainly cooler (heat) than Colortran 5/50s, but they still get hot enough to be a fire hazard if used incorrectly.

So, what do you guys think about a lighting person transforming his/her room like this? Personally, it's something I'd like to try. I'm kind of tired of a few CFLs lighting my room, and it would be interesting to try something in that direction.

Sorry in advance about the offtopicness.

Note that the warning label on the yoke says "Not for Residential Use".
Would be neat to have though.

Note that the warning label on the yoke says "Not for Residential Use".
Would be neat to have though.

Yeah, it also turns out they are nearly impossible to hang without extensive amounts of rigging hardware and blasting a hole in the ceiling to get at the structural elements of the attic, and then getting enough power for them is a PITA. Abandoned the idea when I discovered I would have to do a new power run, which would require a contractor and permission of the landlord... Didnt really notice that warning label, got mine from people tossing them, so the labels were mostly gone. However, the PAR16 and 20s are ok, and work really nicely. If anyone has leads on LED lamps for decently inexpensive for them, I would be interested (I have both MR-16 and screw base PAR16 ones). I do have a couple older modified ERSs tho, that cut bigger holes in the reflector, replaced the lamp socket with one that uses CFLs or 40W globes, just chilling out, waiting to get a bigger room so they can go into interesting places for reading lights and whatnot.

35 lumens, and its not out of most price ranges to get maybe 20 (still like 200 bucks, but for a color changing LED room that would be acceptable, in my book. I wish I had LEDs, because all my PARs rip through gels really fast at full, I can use a full sheet of gel (combined various colors) a week.

I never noticed the lumens rating. I was just going to get one and try it. It will mostly for eyecandy when the main lights are out, so brightness isn't a huge deal. My 36 lumen mini flashlight puts out just about the right amount of light for what I want. (it has a narrower angle though.)

I'm guessing that rating is with all LED's at full though...

yeah i wanted to try RGB LEDs but they cant even come close to matching the 650 lumens my cfls put out

Some different applications is what your actually needing here. LEDs would be great for making walls cool colors, not so great for task lighting. Also, 650 lumens of often terrible light is no deal imo... (I hate CFLs, and only use ones with significant color correction)

(I hate CFLs, and only use ones with significant color correction)

Color correction bugs me too, the noise however drives my s/o insane (which in turn drives me insane), I'm not allowed to use them anymore, unless I buy the encased globes, because those ones make less noise.

I'm working on transitioning to LED's in my new apartment. But that means that I need to buy 26 to replace everything in my current supply plus the 10-15 that are currently in the new apartment. It's going to be a slow transition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back