Getting a NYC gig as a newcomer

Hi, I recently graduated from college and decided to move to NYC I contacted a few places as over hire
with no response. I left the city to work at a summer festival.
Anyone have any advice on getting steady electrics work come August? I don't want to go home and wait tables

Hi, I recently graduated from college and decided to move to NYC I contacted a few places as over hire
with no response. I left the city to work at a summer festival.
Anyone have any advice on getting steady electrics work come August? I don't want to go home and wait tables
Well, you're kinda in the dead zone right now. July and Aug are pretty low key in the theater world, minus outdoor productions. Backstagejobs.com is alway an option if you're just starting out and looking to make connections. Honestly sometimes showing up to a theater dressed well and with a resume can work too (although doesn't really work at union houses for obvious reasons).
I've never gotten a job simply because I know someone, but nearly every job i've been offered was because I knew someone who got me an interview. Most of us look pretty similar on paper, hence why 'dropping a resume' via email isn't really the most effective way of getting hired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back