Giant Turntable?

Wondering if someone can help me here, I am by no means an engineer yet have been burden with the task of creating a large turntable which 3 people can lie on and then rotate by means of a relay controlled motor.

The show is The Lion King and we have a scene where 3 of the actors are lying on this turntable stargazing and we would like the turntable to rotate throughout the scene. So far from my research I have created the mechanism for rotation etc yet I am having trouble finding a motor with the appropriate torque to complete the task primarily because I don't know what to look for. If anyone has used this or something similar before I would greatly appreciate the help!

You might be over-thinking it. Stargazing = very slow, probably only two or three turns for the whole scene.
How about a rope looped around and a stagehand slowly pulling it.

Before everyone jumps on you, this effect could be done effectively, economically, and quietly by manual means. Is there a reason - educational or otherwise to use a motor? And then you have to deal with noise as well.

If a manual means is the best way to do it then that will be the way to go I just presumed a motor would be more reliable and consistent throughout the nights but I understand what you are saying about the noise, Thanks

Wondering if someone can help me here, I am by no means an engineer yet have been burden with the task of creating a large turntable which 3 people can lie on and then rotate by means of a relay controlled motor.

The show is The Lion King and we have a scene where 3 of the actors are lying on this turntable stargazing and we would like the turntable to rotate throughout the scene. So far from my research I have created the mechanism for rotation etc yet I am having trouble finding a motor with the appropriate torque to complete the task primarily because I don't know what to look for. If anyone has used this or something similar before I would greatly appreciate the help!
Search CB for stage revolve. There is a lot out there. VAN has some good post also.

I don't know which way you are leaning in the design, but in my experience, revolves work best by resting the stage platform on stationary casters mounted to the floor or other substructure (facing up). Seems to work better than rolling the revolve on the floor, which can encounter debris and/or damage the floor. It lays out kind of like a pie with a bearing/hub in the center.

If you automate this, you will likely not only need a motor, but a gearbox as well. This serves a few purposes: 1). Your motor doesn't require as much torque to start and maintain speed. 2). A motor is most efficient (and runs coolest) when running as close to full/specified speed as possible. 3). You don't want your revolve to try to spin up to 3,450 rpm.

Last edited:

We did a large turntable for our Noises Off set.
40+ casters on a large base. No motor needed.
http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/our-noises-off-set-in-rotation.36016/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back