Glass or perspex? Frosted effects?

Sitbon

Hi Everyone

I'm designing a set for a play called '3 Days of Rain' and would appreciate some advice about the pros/cons of using real glass onstage. The play is set in a downtown derelict NY loft/studio apartment. I'm thinking of designing an expanse of windows across the stage to suggest a factory/warehouse style of apartment and given rain needs to fall on the outside (separate issue!), I'm unclear about whether to use glass or another material and how to frost it or at least make the different panes look dirty. I thought perhaps of using tracing paper or wax paper on the inside panes but unsure. Can you use scenic pain on pespex?:)

thanks

Andrew

Don't use glass on stage. It is asking for a disaster. Use plastic and tone it with a combination of spray frosting(Rustoleum makes a good one), wax, Krylon dulling spray, spray matte or paint.

Sometimes plastic netting like bridal tulle can be used as a lightweight, cheap, safe, and non-reflective substitute for glass or plexiglass, although you mention needing to do a rain effect as well.

You might also look at clear plastics like vis-queen, or the heat-shrink kits for winterizing windows.

How about R00 gel, as long as you get it tight in the pane.... you can then use various diffusion and other gels to color the 'glass' and diffuse it.

Depending on what the light will be like on stage and the look of the room, screen door material can make great "glass".

+1 for aluminum window screen. A great effect can be achieved by dry brushing it with black paint. Work in one direction, leaving the edges and some streaks in the middle silver.

I've also used clear vinyl sheeting (like your grandma put on her couch) from Tap Plastics, but it's hard to get it tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back