Got Lots of LED Fixtures, Now What?

cdiamondz

So my theatre just got a huge upgrade for lighting and sound. For lighting, we have almost 100% ETC everything. Now, our old border lights (installed by OldAndTerrible) weren't removed because we couldn't afford getting selador classics to replace them (if only the color source linear came out 24 months ago). We have a lot of D40s and I'm planning on using that instead of the border lights (where the only properly working colors are red, blue, amber). I'm planning on leaving my FOH wash as standard fixtures to maintain brightness, however I may double hang with S4LED. We have a bit more fixtures than what our rep plot used (we almost duplicated our whole inventory of conventionals and got LED variants). I understand the whole concept of "LEDs are just another tool in your lighting tool bag" however we have so many fixtures now. Any ideas from you guys? Fun fact: we have at least 16 S4 PARs, 20 S4, 10 Color transfer profiles, 6 generic profiles (Altman?) and 6 generic 3-cell cyc floods. (conventionals).

If you got the power hang them as a second plot to reinforce the original. There is nothing more satisfying that saying to someone who sees that sliver of dark spot and your like wait one sec. Bump: hows that!!

If you got the power hang them as a second plot to reinforce the original. There is nothing more satisfying that saying to someone who sees that sliver of dark spot and your like wait one sec. Bump: hows that!!
Well did get a new Sensor 3 rack, not sure how many circuits are on it, I'm planning on running the fixtures from the Thru Modules in switched (non regulated) mode. I'll talk to a few of my college friends to see their opinion on that. I have contacted ETC before about powering their LED fixtures from the Thru modules and they said it was ok.

If they green light it and it's their products then you should be fine.

After power is running dmx and addresses and hoping you have enough console space.

Even if you didn't get the spots you can still make a reinforcement plot. Adding color on the fly in any situation is a bonus even if the fixtures you got weren't what you wanted.

The only person that's going to know its not how it should be is you and us ;)

I wouldn't dismiss the ColorSource Pars! I find them much more useful for any application where part of the lens is in view, the homogenized sources, in certain situations, are worth the trade off in color choice. IMHO, I've recently seen that dimming and intensity are pretty much the same with CS Par and D40 Lustr+, not sure about Vivid, but either way, that lime led really packs a punch.

Will be a bit more of a bummer if they replaced the Series 2, but even if they did, everything just gets a little bit easier when you only have to work with one type of profile/color-space. You also wont have to deal with getting the perfect color mix in one area with the S4-S2 and subsequently getting pissed that you can't quite duplicate it elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back