Grad Schools for LD

LeChivre

I'm starting to poke my nose out and looking for Grad schools. Just wanted to see what Kind of Suggestions I could get. I'm looking more at a Theatre ED program more so than LD, but if like the program I'll do that instead. I know I can teach with an MFA but I would like more of an education background. So let me know what you think.
~ Cheers

Where have you worked? Where would you like to work?
Did you get a BA or BFA in Theater, or something else?
What area of what country are you residing? Are your connections there? Do you want to stay there?
Asking yourself these questions should point you in the right direction (as well as people on here).

So you are essentially saying that you mainly want to teach theatre later on? This was a big thing for me when I was searching for a graduate program. It took me a lot of searching because that is what I ultimately wanted to do.

I still to this day believe that I hit a home run with my grad school (now in my second year). Not only do I have great instructors who don't force their style of thinking, which I found a lot of people do, but I also found a school that I would end up leaving with 3 years teaching experience upon receiving my MFA.

I know that in theory it sounds like they are just throwing you to the wolves but that is actually not the case at all. Our first semester we have a class dedicated entirely to teaching theatre. We also had a faculty member being the "TA" initially to ensure everything is fine. It is only intro level courses at first, but it is teaching experience.

My first year here, we also had a Dean/Professor Emeritus at our disposal 24/7. He created, amongst many things, a nationally recognized summer teaching initiative called Creative Pulse. It basically gives graduate students who want to be teachers in the arts different approaches to how to think and teach. Unfortunately Dr. Kriley tragically passed away the week before classes started so I can no longer go to him but he was an infinately helpful resource.

There are programs out there that will help you become a well rounded teacher as well as a LD. Just the same, there are plenty of programs out there that focus more on the LD part and some that focus more on the teaching part. You just have to go out there and search for the one that fills your needs. Luckily I found one that is strong in both areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back