Greetings - and advice?

goboleko

Greetings all,

I have been doing all types of production for about twenty years. I've specialized in lighting, but have done corporate, rock and roll, legit theatre.. etc.. etc.. I even lit a mime in glass elavator once. I have no shame.

I decided to get a teaching degree a few years ago, and just graduated with a secondary, social studies education degree in May. I had anticipated teaching social studies and advising in tech theatre, but by equal parts luck and circumstance, I have been contracted to serve as the TD and auditorium director for a very prominent Central Indiana High School with an unbelievable performing arts department. I feel as though I'm living in a production of "Fame."

All is going well for me so far, but the last 3 people to serve in the position washed out in a year or less. None of them had a production background, so I am expecting a very different outcome in my case. Of course, the expectations are high, and I am anticipating plenty of challenges in the year to come.

I am having an issue with my house lighting right now that some of you might be able to advise me on. The touch panel that controls house lights in the auditorium is kaputt. I am able to control house lights via my expressions board and sensor rack, but the architectural control panels located in the FOH and DS right are now useless and unprogramable.

So... Should I replace my touch pad control? If so any brand or compatibility issues? Should I see if a local ETC dealer can service my existing touch pad? Should I just forget about it and resign myself to controling house lights via the lighting console?

Any advice about this techh issue, or my new gig would be greatly appreciated.

Thnks,

GOKO

goboleko, welcome to the Booth.

I hope your performing arts students don't mess up your brand new Colortran Scenemaster 60. (Anyone other than me remember that episode? Probably not, I can't even find it listed in the synopses, but I suspect in was in the final, 1987 season.) Why were there no tech students on Fame? Do they think lighting, sound, scenery, and costumes just happen magically?

Regarding your houselights, I would call ETC at 1-800-688-4116 on Tuesday, assuming it's a Unison architectural system, which it appears. One bad touch panel shouldn't take down other push button stations. Whatever the solution, living with it broken is not an option in my opinion.

Oh, and you may want to commiserate with member Footer4321, as I believe he's in the exact same situation as you. There are a few members from IN who may be useful resources for you, including Kelite, who runs a little gel and gobo company in Ft. Wayne.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Booth, Goko! (Goboleko=Goko. I like it.)
I agree with contacting the manufacturer about the touchscreens (if they are the Unison LCD ones).
Congrats on your new job! As a high school student (although I prefer to describe my school as "Infamous" when people comment on "Fame"... :twisted: ) who is going through a TD transition, I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure your technical background will serve you well. :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back