Guide Lines For Hanging Curtains, Battens and Projector Screen

gmff

I need to hang some curtain tracks, projector screen & light and curtain battens. We have recently renovated a 1890's Opera House and nothing was done about the performance venue. I have had $25k approved for chairs, tables, curtains, window covers and improved electrical. The ceiling is 3/4" plywood screwed up to 2x10 collar ties. I want to chain every thing up to the ceiling by means of eye hooks (4") screwed into the collar ties. I will also use turnbuckles to make sure the spacing is correct on the curtain tracks and the projector screen is level. I need approval from the local fire chief. This is replacing the hanging system that was there before renovations which had everything held in place by ropes and pulley held up with a hand full of 1" screws. Should I call a pro rigger or find a structural engineer. I would love some suggestions!!

Sorry, your plan is absolutely a no-go.

Except for the part about hiring a pro rigger and structural engineer. The former will determine how to safely attach to the building structure, and the latter will determine what load if any that structure can handle.

Screw-in hooks are never OK (neither the screw-in part or the hook part).

... I want to chain every thing up to the ceiling by means of eye hooks (4") screwed into the collar ties. ...
No.

... Should I call a pro rigger or find a structural engineer. ...
It's quite possible you need both. An ETCP rigger will likely know of a structural engineer, but an SE may not know any entertainment riggers. The engineer will state the building is capable of the loads; the rigger will install industry-specific rated hardware. Not jack chain and eye hooks.

EDIT: kicknargel beat me by seven minutes.:( There weren't any replies when I began my reply. I was slowed down by copying the posts' quotes.:oops:

Last edited:
To second the previous reply, a professional rigging installer is in order. The liability involved in overhead rigging makes it not a suitable area for do-it-yourself projects. Contact one or more local or regional theatrical dealers for their input, most will be happy to provide a proposal or at least initial assessment at no cost to you.

I need to hang some curtain tracks, projector screen & light and curtain battens. We have recently renovated a 1890's Opera House and nothing was done about the performance venue. .............

I love restoring historic venues. We just finished doing the Greenfield Opera House here in Iowa. I haven't been in N.H. for a while, quick, hire me to come and work with you!!!!!

Seriously, do contact a rigger. Is there an architect working on the project? If so they would know an SE. Do you have any issues with historic preservation in re: the facility?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back