Gunfire Gunshot Sound

So in conclusion you have four good options:
1) Get yourself a 1x4
2) Use a recorded sound effect
3) Find someone like Magnum to teach you to do it safely.
4) Hire someone like Magnum to handle it for you and make sure it's safe.

Hey Magnum: You joined in 2003, that makes you one of our longest lasting Members. But you only have 10 posts? You are one quiet dude. Thanks for sharing your expertise here, perhaps we need more stage weapon threads and we will get you to talk more. ;) Don't be shy now.

As I stated, this would not be the first option for use (nor second, nor third). A ramset does not fire bolts but nails and is used to fasten studs to concrete. It does have safety features in that it cannot fire without substantial force on the front of the unit, enough to prevent recoil, so no it could never misfire and would thus be less dangerous than a real firearm firing a blank (unless you put it to someone's head)! Yes it has the potential of being dangerous if used improperly, as is the use of the blanks in a real firearm, thus all precautions should be taken in using one. They are safe tools (speaking from personal experience) and since they require pressure on the front could never stand in for a weapon (nor can I imagine a reason in doing so). That is ridiculous for you suggesting that it could, or that anyone would use a loaded weapon on stage.

Anything that anyone cannot do safely should not be done, period, in the theater or otherwise. That includes the use of any firearm, blanks or not. A power actuated fastener is not intended for this purpose, but then many things used in theater are not (please refer to theater history on truss and chain motors for some dangerous examples). So for you to say that it has NO place in the wings (I never suggested on stage) during a show is wrong. A statement like that nullifies so much equipment that is (mis)used during productions that we would all be out of business!

So please, anyone who is not qualified to provide proper safety to all those on stage, please change careers or get the education you need to do so.

I am not saying that a Ramset is not a safe TOOL, but it is a tool and during a show it shouldn't be used. You would never run a table saw offstage just to get the sound effect, so why would use a Ramset? There are plenty of products designed for stage use that give the user just as realistic a sound, and can be used for their intended purpose safely. As has been posted in this thread, there are plenty of stage firearms which when used properly are probably safer than the walk from the stage door to your car.

It is just a question of proper use, and using a ramset for a sound effect does not qualify as proper use. If you need the sound effect and you are going to generate it offstage, you could use a stage firearm in a place where you can control human traffic, which would the proper tool for the proper purpose. No need to use the improper tool for an improper purpose, especially since it won't save you any money (unless you owned the ramset).

ruinexplorer said:
It does have safety features in that it cannot fire without substantial force on the front of the unit, enough to prevent recoil, so no it could never misfire and would thus be less dangerous than a real firearm firing a blank (unless you put it to someone's head)!
That is like saying that a pneumatic framing nailer is safe unless you press it to someone's head.

ruinexplorer said:
So for you to say that it has NO place in the wings (I never suggested on stage) during a show is wrong. A statement like that nullifies so much equipment that is (mis)used during productions that we would all be out of business!
I don't know about you, but all of the gear that we use during a show is used for it's proper, intended purpose. You won't see any tool from the shop used in the wings of our theatre during a show unless scenery or props need to be fixed. Sure, the ASM backstage keeps a tool kit in their station, but as I mentioned, the tools only come out if something needs to be fixed (appropriate use). So, sure, if you had something that was falling off a concrete wall during a show then I think you could justify using a ramset during a show, but never for a purpose other than its intended purpose as a fastening device.

This is all besides the fact that use of any tool for other than its intended purpose can create a huge liability risk. What happens when something does go wrong, and even though you observed safe usage practices you still were ultimately using the tool for an improper purpose? What happens when you or someone else gets injured? Well, you get slapped with a lawsuit or you don't qualify for workman's comp or your insurance doesn't pay your medical bill. Whereas if you were using the tool for it intended purpose and you or someone else got injured it would most likely be covered. By the same token, if using stage firearms properly with proper supervision the liability is greatly decreased should there be any accident. Why? Because it is the proper tool used for the proper reason with proper safety precautions in place.

So, in short, I stand by what I said, a ramset has no place in the wings during a show.

I am not saying that a Ramset is not a safe TOOL, but it is a tool and during a show it shouldn't be used. You would never run a table saw offstage just to get the sound effect, so why would use a Ramset? There are plenty of products designed for stage use that give the user just as realistic a sound, and can be used for their intended purpose safely. As has been posted in this thread, there are plenty of stage firearms which when used properly are probably safer than the walk from the stage door to your car.

So like those instances on this thread where someone was using a stage weapon and someone got injured, right, got that, perfectly safe. I understand that the tool that is designed to look like a weapon (granted most of them seem to be older models) is the better choice (see my original post), yet I preferred the sound playback device which is even safer than that tool or the 1x4 (which could have its own dangers). You will notice that I stated that this was the last option if everything else was not possible. That is why I would use a Ramset.

It is just a question of proper use, and using a ramset for a sound effect does not qualify as proper use. If you need the sound effect and you are going to generate it offstage, you could use a stage firearm in a place where you can control human traffic, which would the proper tool for the proper purpose. No need to use the improper tool for an improper purpose, especially since it won't save you any money (unless you owned the ramset).

By this, you mean that no actor should ever have a real hammer as a prop. Nor should a stagehand use a hammer offstage to bang on anything to create a sound effect because that does not qualify as its proper use. The actor cannot use it because it would likely void the safety guidelines printed on the tool that it must be used with safety goggles. Again, I said that the use of a Ramset would be if the other options are not available, not that it was cheaper, but that they are more accessible (available at big box hardware stores for sale and rent, I'm not sure that you could say the same thing about the approved stage weapon).

That is like saying that a pneumatic framing nailer is safe unless you press it to someone's head.

You are saying that if someone is not defeating the safety on the framing nailer (again by depressing the front of the tool, though less pressure is needed than for a Ramset) that the tool is unsafe? Yes, improper use of the framing nailer on some worksites has resulted in injuries, which can be said about the improper use of any tool. But if this is the case in your shop, I would say that you need an overhaul on your tools if their safety features have been disabled. Does that mean that you also pull outriggers on your Genie lift and move them in the elevated position? Although, I must say, you probably just didn't think through your arguement and indeed do have safe practices and properly maintained tools in your theater, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I don't know about you, but all of the gear that we use during a show is used for it's proper, intended purpose. You won't see any tool from the shop used in the wings of our theatre during a show unless scenery or props need to be fixed. Sure, the ASM backstage keeps a tool kit in their station, but as I mentioned, the tools only come out if something needs to be fixed (appropriate use). So, sure, if you had something that was falling off a concrete wall during a show then I think you could justify using a ramset during a show, but never for a purpose other than its intended purpose as a fastening device.

Well, that's because you neglected the first part of my statement when you quoted me. You neglected the fact that I was referring to the history of what we use in theater, not just hand tools. Obviously safety is the key to what we do, but in theater we practice many things that in Genaral Industry are deemed unsafe and we would be shut down if we were abiding by those same regulations. Historically, our industry has used many tools improperly in order to accomplish the task at hand (in the safest way possible) and the industry is generally creating tools to replace the improper tools (i.e. reworking the chain motors to work upside down, building truss to withstand the loads we put on them). If I am not mistaken, Foley artists (film, radio, and live theater) rarely use the actual objects to create sound effects but something that will make us believe that is the sound. By your definition, they should all be fined for improper use of tools or should not be allowed to do their work.
Our workspace has many hazards and so our workers need to be trained to practice safe procedures and that often includes the ability to make judgements on the safe use of equipment in an unintentional manner. If this were a simple matter, we wouldn't need this discussion. I assume that your stage does not have a railing at the edge to keep the actors from falling off? I also assume that you do not require hardhats at all times (even during performance) since what we have is considered a temporary structure that should require such safety measures? These are examples regulated by General Industry standards that our industry knowingly disregards, but can be fined for (a theater was recently fined for an dancer falling off the front of the stage because there wasn't a guard rail, yes the DS edge).

This is all besides the fact that use of any tool for other than its intended purpose can create a huge liability risk. What happens when something does go wrong, and even though you observed safe usage practices you still were ultimately using the tool for an improper purpose?

What? Because I am not actually fastening a board to concrete at that moment for construction purposes? Then please refer to my previous comment about the use of hammers in the theater. If you have an actor stand on a chair during a scene, that puts you in the same liability, so you better never direct (and yes I see that you do not call yourself a director) a play where anyone does anything against OSH Act since you would open yourself to fines and lawsuits (yes actors are considered employees and are protected by those regulations and of course I am speaking in a broad stance since 26 states have their own regulations which are more strict that the federal regulations). You really are limiting yourself and your productions with the arguement you present.
To completely keep yourself not liable from theater related injuries, you would have to have absolutely no association with theater. Remember, Home Depot paid compensation to the victims families in the Rhode Island nightclub fire because they sold the insulation that was used in the facility. Budweiser also made payments because they were indirect sponsors of the event. Even though the insulation was used properly and the alcohol did not block fire exits, they still were legal targets for lawsuit in that case.

What happens when you or someone else gets injured? Well, you get slapped with a lawsuit or you don't qualify for workman's comp or your insurance doesn't pay your medical bill. Whereas if you were using the tool for it intended purpose and you or someone else got injured it would most likely be covered. By the same token, if using stage firearms properly with proper supervision the liability is greatly decreased should there be any accident. Why? Because it is the proper tool used for the proper reason with proper safety precautions in place.

You are right, the liability would be decreased, but not eliminated. You would still have to prove that the offender was properly trained in the use of the tool and was using it properly, but that still may not keep you from being liable. So you better stick with audio playback (at an appropriate sound level so as not to damage anyone's hearing and keep the speaker on the floor right at the patch point so there are no cables on the floor, etc.). We would have to refrain from using the 1x4 since that, by your definition, would be an improper use (of the material, not a tool) and has the potential of injury. If I'm not mistaken, most 1x4s that everyone is using are a softwood like pine and are more susceptible to breakage and splinters. Beyond that, the crushing force that could be applied to someones foot would be trememdous and that would put you in the same lawsuit category.

So, in short, I stand by what I said, a ramset has no place in the wings during a show.

I appreciate that you do not feel comfortable with the use of a Ramset in your theater during shows and you have that right to control it there. For you to make a blanket statement for other theaters to not use it is improper (I am not speaking as a moderator who has ultimate control of what should be discussed). You can definitely voice your concerns, and they are quite welcome. I am happy that we are able to discuss the matter since there are more safety concerns that are addressed in this fashion. I hope that noone ever feels intimidated in posting their concerns.

I am sure that you (and everyone else on this forum) will take to heart the continuing examples I have provided for you and the safety of your employees as well as the concerns that you express in this matter. I am sure that everyone here understands that there is a risk whenever using a powder actuated device, be it a tool like a Ramset or a stage weapon, and that EVERY precaution needs to be met. Even though we put on "plays", we work in a serious business and horseplay should not be allowed in order to help prevent injuries.

First off, I respect both of you, consider you both friends, and value your opinions highly. I also agree that it's time for the debate to stop. However, I want to point out one thing that I think helps to explain the differences in perspectives and hopefully mends a few things here.

Icewolf works in a world with a lot of college students. Ruinexplorer works the big room in Vegas. In Ruinexplorer's world they do dangerous things every night on stage. However, there is a carefully crafted protocol that is followed and no one gets hurt because they are all professionals, they see the big picture, and they know that the rules keep everyone alive. In Icewolf's world, the tech's don't see the big picture, they see the rules as a cumbersome process that some old fart just made up to cut down on everyone's fun. That's not saying college students can't follow the rules, it's not saying all college students want to play with everything like it's a toy... but some do. It is saying that Ruinexplorer works in an elite world. By the time you reach that level your are older, you've had some close calls yourself, and you may even know someone who was badly injured or killed. You appreciate your mortality and understand that safety really is that important.

Just to make the point clear, let's put the ramset aside a second... I'm guessing that Icewolf's theater has some policies that limit what can be done on stage while weight is being loaded overhead or things are being rigged from the grid. In Ruinexplorer's world you can't do that because time is money. Or more amusingly, what would happen backstage if dozens of show girls ran around half dressed every night in Icewolf's theater vs Ruinexplorer's theater?

So anyway, I think you are both right but you are living in different worlds of theater and what works in one doesn't always work in the other. I love working with students and have taught both High School and College, but they are still learning and sometimes I have to put limits on them to protect them. Those artificial limits don't exist out in Ruinexplorer's world. A world that has things far more dangerous than a ramset onstage every night.

Peace through Cubits boys!

Last edited:
So in conclusion you have four good options:
1) Get yourself a 1x4
2) Use a recorded sound effect
3) Find someone like Magnum to teach you to do it safely.
4) Hire someone like Magnum to handle it for you and make sure it's safe.
QUOTE]

I agree with Gaff, and all of the aformentioned safety concerns. I just wanted to add a company we had had good luck with renting realistic weapons from is Weapons of Choice. They make great weapons that fire safely when we have needed them to. And make very realistic props when we have used sounds effects instead of blanks.

index

~Dave

Control Booth is officially adding Weaponry, alongside Rigging and Electrical, into the category titled: When in Doubt, Consult a Qualified Professional.

......... I just wanted to add a company we had had good luck with renting realistic weapons from is Weapons of Choice. They make great weapons that fire safely when we have needed them to. And make very realistic props when we have used sounds effects instead of blanks.

index

~Dave

Thanks Dave - those guys are pretty good. They have been very clever and innovative creating different kinds of pistols out of the NEF starter guns. The only thing I would add is that renting from them two or three times is the equivalent of having bought the item in the first place, and there are plenty of sources. (These weapons aren't so rare as their write-ups would indicate).

Control Booth is officially adding Weaponry, alongside Rigging and Electrical, into the category titled: When in Doubt, Consult a Qualified Professional.

Derek, does this mean that the subject is taboo on the discussion boards now?

Derek, does this mean that the subject is taboo on the discussion boards now?

Or is it just use, protocol, and equipment? For instance... discussing how to simulate the noise without actually using weaponry, whether it be real, theatrical, or athletic (starter pistol?)

Or is it just use, protocol, and equipment? For instance... discussing how to simulate the noise without actually using weaponry, whether it be real, theatrical, or athletic (starter pistol?)
Akin to how we treat the topic of flying humans, safe alternatives (personnel lift, lighting) is always appropriate; posting "use this, attach it to that" is unacceptable.

magnumBD, I don't feel that posting or recommended a supplier, which could be found anyhow with any Google search, violates our TOS\Content Policies\Safety, (please read if you haven't already). The onus of safe use and operation has thus been transferred from CB to the vendor. Where it should be, as the vendor should be responsible, legally and morally, not anonymous Internet peoples.

I was always amused by PyroPak's tagline: "As Safe As Safe Can Be," thinking it rather scary when referring to explosives.

Last edited:
Let's put together a list of Professionals to contact...

For anyone in the Pacific Northwest, we've got a good fight and weaponry guy named Kevin Inouye here in Seattle. Here's his website. I don't know how far he travels. He will choreograph a fight for you, train you to use a firing weapon, and rent you firing and non-firing replicas. He has a nice inventory, see his website for pictures of what he's got. I rented a very realistic yet completely plastic rifle from him last year.

Anyone else got a weapons person they would like to recommend? Magnum do you have a site (this is a good time for discrete but shameless self promotion)?

Last edited:
Perhaps a collaborative article is in order something like: "Stage Combat and Weapons Resources".

I would like to add (though apart from firearms) an excellent resource for Theatrical Violence training. The Society of American Fight Directors provides excellent training to ensure safety. I was privaleged to have one of the fight masters be an alumni from my college and the enjoyment of taking workshops from someone of such great experience. I highly recommend them as a valuable resource.

And ditto for Fight Directors Canada up here. Highly trained, and consumate professionals.

Let's put together a list of Professionals to contact...

For anyone in the Pacific Northwest, we've got a good fight and weaponry guy named Kevin Inouye here in Seattle. Here's his website.

Anyone else got a weapons person they would like to recommend? Magnum do you have a site (this is a good time for discrete but shameless self promotion)?

Thanks for the info on Kevin; very impressive!

Since I don't do this for profit, I don't maintain a website (my discretionary funds go to buying the props), but I have put together a MySpace page- the link is in my signature for each and every post, in my profile, and right here:

Stage Armament Solutions

I fully understand regarding the liability and "onus" issues as far as Control Booth is concerned. I agree that there is too much BS being bandied around the internet (on a different forum for indie DV filmmakers, some idiot even blithely stated that using real bullets in real firearms was acceptable, "if you are careful, cuz that's what they do in real movies".)

Anyone is welcome to contact me privately at any time with any questions.

Ok,
I'm not sure which amp's & speakers etc to use, but if you're looking for gunshot effects and have a Mac (OSX tiger or up)
You can use a sound editing etc program called Soundtrack ([I will refer to Soundtrack Pro as STP] It is made by the same people who make Final Cut Pro).
STP has a whole library of SFX like gunshots, battlefield sounds, explosions, screams, phrases, moans, applause, laughter, vehicles & much much more.
I most recently used it for a video that I made for a Bible skit assignment and it has some great gunshot sound etc.
Try it out and see for yourself.
Joshwahr :cool:

Placing a speaker on stage is a good way to "place" a recorded effect.
I have an inexpensive electric piano ( Yamaha PSR270) that has a pretty good built-in library of sound samples, including forty or fifty different gunshots. I am sure you can find something similar. I take sound from the piano and feed the signal to a CD burner.
This sort of thing might work for you, and all the shots don't have to sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back