Gym conversion project in Northern Virginia - need help!

Up to 500 occupants is 2 ways out. 501 to 1000 requires 3. If sprinklered, which this should be with change in occupancy, the two doors out should be half the diagonal apart. That might or might not include the stage in measuring diagonal - could go either way. Up to 300 they can both go through "lobby" if they are separate paths - not crossing or squeezed into one path - but can get away with a lot. more than 300 and they need to be separate - can't go through same volume.

You asl need a way out of stage at both sides - but they can lead to the same two as for audience so2 for the building (up to the 500 combined total of entire building). And that is all minimum code, which is NOT good design. Just meet code and you get a grade of D-.

That's a quick, memory based summary, from airport gate area.
@piersc and @BillConnerFASTC I'm posting from Canada thus my comments may or may not apply. Up here north of Donald's walls our Liquor Control Board's egress rules are even stricter, and more rigidly enforced, than our fire codes. Immediately above every fire exit must be an internally illuminated and clearly visible EXIT sign containing at least two lamps for redundancy plus a third lamp on an emergency / power failure circuit. Normally lights are also required to illuminate the path to the exit. When our local 2183 seat, twin balconied, soft seater was built in 1973, the consulting engineers thought they had all of the required Exit and emergency lights poured into the poured concrete walls and ceiling slabs. When our LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) inspectors toured through shortly prior to opening night they enforced their stricter rules prior to issuing permits to sell wine and alcoholic beverages. The owners, architect, GC, GM and electrical contractor tried pleading with the LCBO inspectors saying that surely non-internally illuminated signage would suffice with lights shone on them from locations where power was conveniently available. No dice, our LCBO inspectors wouldn't yield. This accounts for the time consuming / neatly installed Pyrotenax running around the four levels of lobby bars on the surface of the poured concrete walls to this day.
Moral of my tale: Be sure you're conforming to ALL applicable minimum standards. If you're ever planning to serve wine at some future date, even for rentals, your ATF folks MAY have stricter rules.
EDIT: Edited my inadvertent mis-spelling of Pyrotenax, copper clad / mineral insulated fire proof single and multi-conductor wiring.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back