halloween idea

DuckJordan

Touring IATSE Member
Well, for halloween me and another tech are doing our own haunted house kind of thing in his front yard using flats and other such things. Inside we have a room that is 12' x 12' with the hallway on the left side which is a 2 foot hallway (yes i know its tight but it helps with the effect) So far we have come up with the idea for a "Satanic Worship" Scene for the room including 2-3 actors and another chained to one of the walls. there will be a pulpit with some other things added like a book and possibly an MP3 player for sound cue. I would like to ask for suggestions as for what to decorate the room with or even possibly use as props inside the room.

Thanks,
Jordan

This sounds right up my alley...you can definitely do some cool stuff...But for some other ideas have you tried halloweenforum? or hauntworld forums...

But I'm sure creative people on here can give some ideas as well, but that's just a suggestion in case you have never seen those sites :)

Post pictures, or send me some! I'd love to see what you do...

The image that jumps to mind for me is stone block walls with dripping water seeping through the cracks, pentagram on the floor, lots of cobwebs, black ceiling. All easily made inexpensively.

The image that jumps to mind for me is stone block walls with dripping water seeping through the cracks, pentagram on the floor, lots of cobwebs, black ceiling. All easily made inexpensively.
I forgot to mention in the first post inexpensivley means the whole thing is about $110 total not just that scene. and we only have 2 days to set up and 1 day to tear down i like the dripping water idea but we are working ontop of grass in SD which this year probably means that there will be snow. Again i love the idea as far as the dripping water but it doesn't seem to feasable(i hope i spelled that right) to do outside on october 31 in SD.

A "running water" look can be achieved as easily as pouring a little clear gloss polyurethane down the wall. When it dries it looks like water is running down the wall.

Blacklight would be cool. I love the blacklight/strobe combo. It's hard to see then when you do see it's strobe and it's disturbing in another way.

How about blood dripping down the walls instead of water?

When I was a kid I went to a haunted house they had a body on a table. They reached inside a hole in the body and grabbed pieces of shredded chicken which they threw at the crowd. FREAKED me out! I've also seen a skull full of pasta brains, "put your hand in the skull to feel his brains", which is even cheaper and nasty!

You would need plywood instead of flats for this one. I worked in a haunted house one time. We had this small enclosed room. The people were admitted in only in small batches and lined up along a wall. What they didn't know was that wall was hinged to the floor so that it closed in on people from behind. This forced them to step forward just as Jason came at them the other way with a chain saw. I got to work the front door loading people into the room and operate the wall. That was a lot of fun.

Last edited:
i like your ideas, the biggest problem we are having at this point is we are using a flicker bulb setup so no strobe we are planing on having a black light in the room for a pentagram drawn in the center with candles on the five points. we are also going to have a person in a small hidden area where as soon as the people who walked in get there and start looking more closely at the people "worshiping" there will be a sound cue where we have a spooky voice saying "I will be right with you, just let me grab my chain saw and as soon as that cue is finished a person with a chainsaw, chain missing of course, will start it up and come out from the hidden area. we also have kind of a mean idea where we have black plastic sheets in front of the people for about 8 feet then right behind the last one a small plywood sheet nailed to the wall and cealing so the kind of run into it. we also will have a 60 psi air cannon shooting blasts of air at the people as they enter the room. Thank you for the suggestions and i would love some more kind of going along the basis of what we have planned. thank you

Doing this on a small budget with most of it eaten up is challenging, but many wonderful ideas have been presented. Here's one: Hang pieces of black sewing thread from the ceiling- I'm assuming the hallway will be dark- so it brushes people's faces as they come through. It'll feel like spiderwebs. Good luck with your project!

Not sure how much of it is done but, my idea would be when having them enter the room have a focal point that clearly draws there attention ie a scene of a body with blood. When they are looking at that, an expecting someone to jump out there have someone from behind (like the killer of the body) jump out and ask if they want to be next. Its just like magic distract then explote.

Before you go too far. Ask yourself what is going to happen if a group of people are in there, you really scare them good and they want to run screaming. How do they get out? I suggest you make if fairly clear that there is one way in and out and that you don't obscure it. You don't want them crashing through walls tearing the place up. The scare only works for a second then you need to get them out and move the next group in. Having people stuck in there trying to get out is going to be really weird for your actor with the chain saw. "I scared them... now what"? If you want to have people feel stuck and trapped I suggest you plan the rest of the scene around that... not around a quick scare which will encourage people to run away. Don't mix your messages and loose the fun. Keep it simple. Have one trick that you do well.

Gaff lol we got this covered we have one of the "Industrial" exit signs all the businesses use hanging on the far wall pointing to the exit so it will be fairly obvious where it is it even lights up red. last year we had the same problem with just a single hallway as the whole house, so this year we made it fairly obvious

Users who are viewing this thread

Back