Hanging Mirror Ball FOH

lighttechie5948

Hi guys,

Just got out of a production meeting with a director. He asked if we could hang the mirror ball center on the FOH pipe. I said no problem. Then he said he wanted it to hang 5' below the FOH pipe, and it MUST spin!

Any ideas on hanging it down 5' from the pipe? I thought of cheeseboroughing a 5' pipe to the FOH pipe, then cheeseboroughing a 1' pipe to that and hanging the motor on that...but how can that be done safely?

Or is there a better method. I don't want the mirror ball, let alone the pipe, falling on the audience.

Thanks!
Joe

Just mount the motor at your electric just as you first thought, then just use a longer chain between the motor and ball. The only thing is you need to start it a little sooner to get it spinning correctly. Also, it will spin a bit after you turn it off.

It would probably be easier just to go to your local Lowes/Home Depot/Whatever and get a chain cut for you there. They will be able to help you find something suitable.

Whatever chain you choose just make sure it has a max breaking strength higher than the weigh of the ball, so you might want to get the weight from the manufacturer but I doubt its that heavy.

Just for the heck of it I'm going to guess pin spots or maybe just aiming a S4 with an iris from FOH for a better effect.

I'm wondering if you realize that I'm Joe Naftal....you know me...you've worked for me....whatever.

And most likely gonna hit it with MAC 250s on the proscenium boom. It's only on for a sec. in one scene.

It's only on for a sec. in one scene.

Well keep this in mind then, if you are only using it for a second, you're still gonna have to look at the dang thing for the rest of the show! Mirror balls are hard to hide! Have you considered moving it US and then flying it in when you need it?

Echoing Pie4Weebl's sentiments, why not just use gobo#7 rotating, perhaps with rotating prism?
seen both in the same show, and the effect isn't the same... That said we used two mirror balls for Evita and made it part of the set and our false pro's since they were incorporated we didn't mind seeing them the entire time. the effect with the mirror balls was much more exciting and it gave a different feel to it rather than the rotating gobo with a prism although i we used mac 550's.

Well if you are set on using a mirror ball I suggest calling Garth Brooks up, his has built in ACLs, and shoots out smoke.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to put the motor up at the pipe, and drop the ball 5', I'd suggest using something other than chain, so you have fewer joints putting slack action into the system, otherwise it will hard to predict or control how it spins. Aircraft cable is one solution, a rod with eyes at either end is even better.

Our usual solution is to Pipe out from our Cats and mount the Motor to a 2x4 which then gets ratchet-strapped to the pipe.

If you're going to put the motor up at the pipe, and drop the ball 5', I'd suggest using something other than chain, so you have fewer joints putting slack action into the system, otherwise it will hard to predict or control how it spins. Aircraft cable is one solution, a rod with eyes at either end is even better.
Cable is an easy solution. Just a safety or two, depending on the length you need.

I wouldn't even bother turning the motor on and off. Just let it go and within 2 minutes, no one will notice it turning until you light it.

As for covering it, that can be done, too, but you need some drape, and a way to raise and lower that without interfering with the pipe the ball is hanging from. I think Pink Floyd did something like that for Pulse.

Well keep this in mind then, if you are only using it for a second, you're still gonna have to look at the dang thing for the rest of the show! Mirror balls are hard to hide! Have you considered moving it US and then flying it in when you need it?

The mirror ball is a scenic piece as well. The show is "A Midsummer Night's Dream" but modernized. The mirror ball is supposed to represent the moon. When the actors refer to the moon they will refer to the mirror ball hanging.

We have one hung on a prop bar, and the effect is awesome. I think the idea of the rod is the best. You can make this yourself, too. Home Depot sells 1/8" steel rod that you can cut with a hacksaw, then bend into hooks or eyes on either end.

Cable is an easy solution. Just a safety or two, depending on the length you need.

I wouldn't even bother turning the motor on and off. Just let it go and within 2 minutes, no one will notice it turning until you light it.

As for covering it, that can be done, too, but you need some drape, and a way to raise and lower that without interfering with the pipe the ball is hanging from. I think Pink Floyd did something like that for Pulse.

I support the idea of just using a safety cable or two. Use what you already have on hand. Personally I find mirror balls in view when not in use to be really distracting, but I'm usually staring up at the lights anyway.

Whatever chain you choose just make sure it has a max breaking strength higher than the weigh of the ball, so you might want to get the weight from the manufacturer but I doubt its that heavy.
Just to nitpick a few days after the fact, if your chain or whatever has a "max breaking strength" listed, you're going to divide that by 5 and then make sure your load is still lighter than you new reduced 'max strength.'

That all being said, I have yet to see a mirror ball that weighed over 10lbs, so rating won't likely be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back