Hazardous Materials Licenses

dannyn

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any special licensing or training that is available for Co2 or N2 usage.
I am aware that both of these materials present health risks such as Co2 displacing the oxygen in the room causing people to have a lack of oxygen, and N2 giving sever frost bite. If I did C02 indoors I would want to purchase a meter for Co2 PPM just to make sure that I am not harming anyone. What is the proper Co2 value? And is an O2 sensor necessary? Is there any perceptions with doing the same with N2. I know that I can purchase the Co2 devices and the liquid Co2 without a license but I would like to make sure that I error on the side of caution with this seeing that there could be some serious side affects if something bad were to happen.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Truly depends on your local government. Neither of those materials is rated as a "Hazardous Materail" per se. I'm sure that a CO2 meter exists but I've never seen one. Yes CO2 displaces O2 just as Nitrogen, argon or any other heavy gas does but CO2 is much less reactive than CO which actually forms a chemical bond with Hemoglobin which is harder to break than a typical O2+heme bond. Because of their temperature upon release some places require safety courses for handling of specific gasses. This kinda falls into the area of Consult you Local Authorities. Most likely a local DEQ would have leads.

Neither CO2 or LN2 are considered "Hazardous Materials", thus no licensing is needed although some local jurisdictions "might" have some local restrictions. Cryogenics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (N2 is the gas form, LN2 is the product that is delivered in Dewars or LN2 containers. Nitrogen is rarely distributed in a "gas" form but CO2 is common in both forms, thus CO2 and Liquid CO2 are the names rather than CO2 and LCO2) Both can displace Oxygen in the atmosphere, but either, in an 80/20 mix are breathable. The CO2 will, over extended exposure, have adverse side effects, but no immediate complications.

As for training, If you or your admin or AHJ feel it is needed, check with your supplier for training courses or your local AHJ for information. As for "How To" it is simply how to handle and deal with cryogenic materials. Gloves, goggles or face mask or both, Never exposed skin, never rush, never play around, leave the frozen flower or frozen snake gimmicks to the Myth busters or Modern Marvels channel. HTH.

I was thinking a meter like this Amazon.com: Supco IAQ55 Handheld Indoor Air Quality Monitor, 0 to 2000 ppm, 1 ppm Resolution, +/-75 ppm Accuracy: Industrial & Scientific

I will be sure to contact my authorities and my supplier (AirGas) for more information. I agree with all of the points below. This is serious and not something to that is a toy, serious injury could be done. That is why if I do ever decide to do an effect like this it is done in a safe manner. I would rather error on the side of caution and not hurt someone than this become a large issue and someone get hurt.

Thanks for the informative replies!

All I can say is whatever you do keep your bottles secured, even the empties. I've seen AHJ's throw an absolute fit over that, and for good reason.

Thanks for reminding me of 3 hours of Oxyfuel safety videos. Every single clever way you can break the top off of a bottle. EVERY SINGLE ONE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back