Haze effect without haze?

Tex

Our UIL one act play this year is Iphigenia 2.0 by Charles Mee. There is a scene where the chorus of soldiers does a section of a WWI poem about mustard gas. I would like to suggest gas hanging or moving in the air. We cannot use haze or fog in our theatre so we need an effect we can do at home and throughout all levels of competition.
The UIL (University Interscholastic League) regulates all high school competition in Texas. The UIL doesn't allow any intelligent lighting more advanced than a RGB LED or any motorized effects like pattern rotators or scrollers. I do, however have an extra kid to put backstage who can manually manipulate the light.
We've done some limited experimentation with moving items (hands, cheesecloth, an assortment of glassware) in front of a S4 both with and without a breakup pattern. So far, the winner is a "Go Army" mesh laundry bag with the breakup, but I'm not 100% happy. I'm going to get some clear glass and experiment with different substances on the glass. I could also try using my LED's in a slow chase but I don't think they'd cut through the area lighting.
Is there an approach that I'm missing? Any creative ideas I could try to achieve the effect I'm looking for?

Perhaps you could do something with a laptop and digital projector? I know (as of 2 years ago) that projectors are legal.

Perhaps you could do something with a laptop and digital projector? I know (as of 2 years ago) that projectors are legal.
Well, the projectors are legal, but you can only run still images and if that becomes the "primary source of illumination" it becomes one of the four instruments you're allowed backstage. I like the image idea though. If I could find the right image, I could have it made into a glass gobo. I could actually use the projector to experiment with images. Thanks for the idea!

You could opt for using one or more long pieces of fabric (parachute cloth, gauze, taffeta, etc.) that span the stage (or lit area) that are and moved by stagehands in the wings. This picture doesn't do the effect justice but it may help explain...

proxy.php

You could opt for using one or more long pieces of fabric (parachute cloth, gauze, taffeta, etc.) that span the stage (or lit area) that are and moved by stagehands in the wings. This picture doesn't do the effect justice but it may help explain...

proxy.php
I had considered something like this, but it's a relatively short scene and the look isn't really consistant with the rest of the show. I will, however be putting a light under some sliced up parachute fabric. Thanks for the idea!

It is a one-act play competition, and the Texas University Interscholastic League has strict rules which can easily lead to disqualification, such as no smoke effects. One reason for that rule is that there is only about 20 minutes between different shows at the competitions.

It is a one-act play competition, and the Texas University Interscholastic League has strict rules which can easily lead to disqualification, such as no smoke effects. One reason for that rule is that there is only about 20 minutes between different shows at the competitions.
I don't think no fog is a rule yet, but give it time. :lol: I guess some over zealous contest manager could get you for going over time on strike if there's still fog in the air...
The rules were designed to keep large wealthy schools from having an unfair technical advantage over smaller schools. At the heart, it's an acting competition. Acting - 60%; Directing (including tech) - 40%. Personally, I think critic judges should be able to see through the smoke and mirrors to judge the acting, but that's just me. Over the years, creative folks have done things that are within the letter of the rule, but not the spirit so new rules have been made. The rule book/handbook for this competition is now over a hundred pages. Some see the rules as a limitation; I choose to see them as a challenge. :)
The main reasons I'm not using fog are:
1. Particle detectors in my theatre (I feel your pain NickVon). They work. Really well. We set them off with vines during Little Shop. The first round of competition is at my school.
2. The venue that hosts the State round does not allow fog. If we are so fortunate to be there, I would have to find a fog substitute. Might as well do it now. It's the same reason most plays don't use a cyc. That's right, no cyc at the final round of competition. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to experiment with all the ideas I get!

Would it be cheating to puff out some baby powder in front of a fan?

Would it be cheating to puff out some baby powder in front of a fan?
It would not. Is there a way to keep the powder near the light and focus it such that the powder's shadow is projected? I tried this using a 50 degree S4 and was unsuccessful. I'll play with some different focal lengths, but I wonder if there's a better instrument to try?
Using powder on a scale large enough to resemble actual fog would probably require too much clean-up. We have 7 minutes to strike.

EDIT: I just tried the powder again with different focal lengths and no luck. I think I found the look I like, though.
I used an Apollo Tight Yarn pattern out of focus enough so it doesn't read. If my kid slides his open fingers in front of the lens, it changes the focal length enough to focus the pattern. Some delicate finger wiggling adds a bit of movement. I think it will work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back