Health and Safety gone stupid!

I can understand your frustrations, and outside of general liability concerns, insurance, and potential for lawsuits (once you're hurt), everything does come down to qualified individuals working with potentially dangerous (or expensive) equipment. As a high school student in the 90s, we were limited in what we were allowed to do in our theatre, still broke rules here and there, but we all stayed safe and injury-free. Juxtapose that with the local movie theatre I worked at - I received several major electrical shocks on that job, all accidental, and somehow I survived it all without any trips to the hospital. As a college student, I saw people break and smash hands, fall off stages and break bones, sever fingers, and all of this was due to the same exact cause - poor safety regulations mixed with brave, untrained people. I even fell into an orchestra pit and broke a rib, and I didn't press a suit against the school. Looking back, with proper safety precautions and equipment maintenance, ALL of those scenarios would have been avoided. I'm sure you've read plenty of lecture-like responses on this thread, but just know that it's ok to accept a circumstance as 'it is what it is' because ultimately, once you graduate and move on, the same qualified dimmer-turner-offer will still be there flipping switches while you are riding into the sunset with high school far, far behind you.
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back