Hello from Asheville, NC

Hey everyone, I'm Jill.

I graduated in May from UNC Asheville with a degree in design and production concentrated in scenic design. Out of college, I received a job from the Asheville Community Theatre as the ATD and in house set designer for the secondary black box stage. I've also worked as the master carpenter for a summer stock company for two years, and the scene shop assistant at my college (as well as three years of free-lance design work downtown while I was still in school).

I found my way to this forum from my constant googling of scenic related questions, and I am looking forward to utilizing all the knowledgeable people here! Our budget is incredibly tight, so we're always looking for cheap solutions and homemade remedies.

As far as interests, I love carpentry and welding. I try to make every show an excuse to use tube steel. I also tend to enjoy hand drafting more than ACAD, which I'm often mocked for by my coworkers. I also love stage make-up/fx make-up (as well as regular everyday make-up). Outside of theatre, I love comics. I worked at a comic book shop before I got my current job.

So that's me. Be seeing you around.

Welcome! Great to have you here. Don't hesitate to to jump in and start posting. Enjoy CB!

~Dave

Welcome aboard. Please feel free to share your insights and ideas into producing on a tight budget it's getting to be a very popular topic! On the same line don't be afraid to ask for ideas; "The only dumb question is the one left unasked."
PS my brand-new next door neighbors are from Asheville!

Hey Jill, I often miss my hand drafting too and I go back to it when I have to get too organic for the computer. I have a new digitizer pad and I am trying to learn it but doesn't have the same feel so I am with you there. I also work as a production manager at a large summer theatre company and I get a lot of had drafting. The TD may not like that it does not import in to CAD easily but it sure looks good onstage. I spent many years refining my drafting and CAD is just still so sterile compared to hand drafting. I just wish I had time to hand draft these days. I finally had to give up hand drafting when I was in a hotel room and the only drafting surface as a hexagonal coffee table. So, my light plot fit neatly onto a hexagon.

Anyway, welcome to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back