Help a first time designer

I am Set designer for my school's upcoming show "A Year with Frog and Toad" I am mostly a lighting person, but i dabble in set construction.

So my main set piece is a two level piece with Frog and toad's home underneath and a bird's nest above (don't ask why, my director said there needed to be a nest). I have one of the corners of the structure as a "tree trunk". My problem is that i have no idea what to make the tree trunk out of. it needs to be about 3.5 foot diameter, 10-12 feet tall and sturdy. any ideas on what materials to use or construction techniques?

By sturdy, do you mean structurally sound as a corner of your set?

I wouldn't have the entire trunk as your support, personally, I'd have a regular wood or steel column to support the corner of the set, and build a trunk out of luan around the column. The luan can then be textured in a variety of ways. My favorite way is to use spray foam to put in knots and other texture, cover the foam with scrap muslin, and paint the whole tree brown.

Good luck,
Reynolds

As Reynolds says, support the platform with a regular ol' steel or wood column (don't forget adequate cross-bracing), then build out your tree trunks with whatever technique you want.

You can use sonotube for a very round and straight look, or cut plywood 'ribs' to support a chicken wire and muslin skin, or build up and carve foam, or any other number of methods I'm sure other members will be able to chime in with.

Ok, i'm going to investigate both of those ideas, i still have to figure out how my stairs are going to work though... oh well

Such a load bearing structure I would be challenged with doing, this much what’s ornamented with stuff on the floor that’s also bearing weight.

Difficult concepts in above supporting weight and below perhaps being climbed on. Very different concepts for scenery no matter the decoration. The lower part can be more simple to design and come up with a hard coating for the scenery for, the upper part isn’t possible short of being on-site I think. Someone qualified to engineer such a platform at least is necessary to get involved in a hopefully on-site type of way.

How large is the upper level? How high off the ground? How much weight must it support? Do you know how you are going to build it?

You are starting with the wrong thing. First you build a strong second level. Then you figure out how to make part of that structure look like a tree. This is not exactly beginner work. Do you have a T.D.? Is there a university nearby (maybe some more experienced students could help you design it for free). What about a good community theater. Most theater technicians I know would be happy to spend a few minutes with you helping you design something safe... but it's really a job that should be done based on seeing your theater in person, not over the internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back