Conventional Fixtures Help in purchasing my first light setup

Leomoon

Cheers everyone!

I would greatly appreciate your help in purchasing my first stage light setup. I am quite new to this, although I have done my homework. I am an actor, and I always had someone else take care of the light, but now its time for me to learn.

I need a minimal setup for a small theater to start with. This should be quite portable as well.
I am not sure if this really is enough, but I was thinking of getting just two flood light fixtures with tripods, that would have zoom/focus and programmable color change abilities.
So far, I was looking into Martin Rush PAR 2 RGBW Zoom and Chauvet F-95WW.
Both sound great, except that Martin has, as far as I understand, only a pre-mixed lightning option (it cannot be changed in real-time remotely during the play?), and Chauvet would require filters or something equivalent.
I would greatly appreciate your input and advice.
Thank you in advance,
Emir

Welcome to the inside of Pandora's box! (and Welcome to Control Booth!)
Getting in to lighting is like trying to take a small sip from a fire hose. It can be a wild journey costing immense piles of cash, but it is also a wonderful world of excitement and joy!
You look like you are staring out in a reasonable manner and that is good.

There are audio visual company whom you can ask for help. Try Aavevents. They can ask for their advice regarding your problem and see their sample work too to help you decide. Goodluck.

Without knowing what your stage or room there is a lot to consider.
Start with a budget, $10,000 or $30,000 USD.

Why do you want a lighting system, DJ bands, Drama, Musicals or all the above. What do you want it to do now and in 3 years. This way your not throwing you money at equipment that won't grow with you.

What type of console: a small jands Vista m1 are around $1,300 running off your laptop with side wing or larger boards in the 3-5,000 range. How quick and flexible do you need.

How many lights? What angles, front light only like a DJ band or theater style with back lights? Minimum one light for ever 8 feet of stage width. So a 24 ft wide stage may take 3 light straight on but you said two tripods then 6 lights. Or go with four tripods and put Elation par zooms on the back light and ETC luster 22 on the fronts. In any case $600 to $800 per fixture.

Cables, Power, road cases.

You are not investing in just colors and patterns, flash and trash. Its function...... what results do you really want it to do.

Also Read up on some lighting books if you are serious about lighting. Just search CB for some lists.

I hope points you in a direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back