Help me make Gel Selections

Right now I am designing a production of the music man. I am trying to work towards creating general daylight that looks very close to natural white with a touch of color. If you have seen Newsies thats kind of what I am going for. My only issue is almost the entire set is brown to with detailed woodwork and some red brick. The brown is very warm and leaves me thinking anything close to cool wont look flattering. In my design I am working with front light from FOH (must be all one color), a system of backlight (ETC Junior zooms)( all one color) a system of High side/with front side fill (reg s4s, all one color) downlight on each flat that makes up our wing and drop set( MR 16 Mini strips two circuits each). Scrolled downlight( Apollo Rock and Roll strings) over the town center/ streets/ general playing space... and finally scrolled texture on the same area as the scrolled downlight... Any advice or suggestions for my color pallet would be much appreciated. Also costumes are period pieces from the 1920's with a wide variety of colors and textures. Thanks!

I would say search this site for many examples of colors to pick and how to design lighting.

Some thoughts.
I've been in "The Music Man". You may want to have some of the FOH to be of a darker hue for the evening scenes.

I prefer staying with Lee's Bastard Amber (or an equivalent color) - picks up flesh tones really well. I also use Light Rose and Bastard Pink to give a bit of rosiness. I also use some of the blues and other cooler colors for front side lights.

I would not have all one color - vary the scenes - makes it more interesting - you can highlight the actors and scenes better.

YMMV

See I like Lee 501 in the frontlight, as its cooler and picks up skintones well, and then L202 and L200 in the high sides, and then do my color and the like from the top using scrollers, and then some pars from the back doing colors. But the real question is do we really only want one type of look for the whole show?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back