Help with incorrect monitor connections

temper

So, I've got an unusual question. I'm trying to diagnose an amp issue, and I think the amp is fine, but one of the users of our system recently told me that the amp was cutting out and during tear down he noticed that someone had connected the 2 channels together. Ie, channel one to monitor then to another monitor which was already connected to channel two. The amp was set to stereo mode.

I know, I wanted to scream too. :)

My question is, in that situation what would really happen? I'm assuming the amp would overload and the protection circuit were shut down both channels and probably keep them open. And, before that it would sound horrible. Anyone know for sure what would most likely happen?

I would try it for myself but, well I don't want to have to explain that to anyone else. :)

A company I freelance for lost several amps this way. During hectic change over between acts, local crew would plug the feed from two amps into one speaker. Never rely on the protection circuitry, it is by no means full proof.

~Dave

It shouldhave sounded bad and cut out because both channels were driving a near dead short. It could have just tripped the protection circuitry and may have not hurt anything, but it is possible that damage was done. The only way to find out is to hook up a pair of speakers properly and give the system a listen. If it sounds fine now, no harm, no foul.

Best case no harm. Worst case both amps blow (don't ask how I know). The more cable there was between the channels, the less the likelihood of damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back